Grey Motor Engine Monitoring

Includes wiring and battery, generating system, starting system,
ignition system, windscreen wipers, lighting system and instruments and gauges.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

rtelford
State: VIC

Grey Motor Engine Monitoring

Post by rtelford »

Hey All,

I am currently building a grey motor engine monitoring unit with the following features

Inputs
  • Tacho from the coil
    Coolant temp
    Oil Pressure
    Ambiant Air Temp
    Fuel Level
    Battery Voltage
    GPS Speed Signal
Outputs
  • Oil idiot light
    Temp Idiot Light
    Stable output to Fuel Gauge
Im also planning an application that shows the above as a set of gauges on your smartphone. Also considering a CAN output module so you could plugin CAN based heads up displays available on the market.

What do you guys think? What other features/sensor would you want and is there any interest if I was to do a small production run of these?

Thanks,
Rod.
Coremeister
State: QLD

Re: Grey Motor Engine Monitoring

Post by Coremeister »

I would be very interested in this, we have an FB Sedan that still runs a stock Grey Motor.
I had a look around briefly to see what options were available to fit some gauges to keep an eye on the motor, most seem to simply add a bank of three analog gauges in a bracket hung under the dash, we didn't want to do this as it spoils the original look of the stock dash, I was hoping to find some sensors and maybe an app for a smart phone so that it would read to that while driving but could be taken away when not needed, i didn't have much success but did find a SAAS gauge that reads both oil pressure and water temp in one gauge, the oil pressure reads on a dial (which is electronic) while the water temp reads with a digital number along the bottom of the gauge, both have a setable audible alarm for high temp or low pressure, this is currently mounted in a simple bracket down near the fuse block, it is readable while driving and is partly hidden from view to help maintain the stock lock.
Both sensors are mounted in a brass T to allow the original warning lights to be retained.
If you do go ahead and make something along the lines of what you have described please let me know as I would be very interested in checking it out.

Corey