Indicator mechanism wiring harness(es)

Includes wiring and battery, generating system, starting system,
ignition system, windscreen wipers, lighting system and instruments and gauges.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

thebrotherj
State: NSW

Indicator mechanism wiring harness(es)

Post by thebrotherj »

Hello brains trust,

I'm back on the Ute after a few months out for hand surgery. About bloody time! :thumbsup:

Spent last night under the dash and sorted all the wiring, cleaned every contact, added a new headlight switch, fuses, dash globes and a solid-state flasher can. So far everything is working a treat but I'm a little confused about a couple of things with my indicators:

1: my indicator switch assembly as two wiring harnesses, no wiring diagrams I've found can explain the second one and I've spotted two types when looking on Ebay etc.
The yellow/light blue/dark blue/tan wires I understand (flasher/left ind/right ind and horn), but the second harness with purple/pink/white has me baffled... furthermore, I've traced the purple & pink to single connectors behind the cluster, but the white wire is hanging free. Can anyone tell me what these three wires are? The car is manual trans, I had wondered if this was something to do with Auto... but as I mentioned, they ARE connected.

Here's a link to images of one like mine that's currently for sale on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Holden-FE-EK ... SwTA9X2MA1

2: The three screws that hold the indicator switch assembly to the column were loose. When I tightened them, the switch body bound against the honeypot and I couldn't move the gear selector. My questions is: is there supposed to be a spacer behind it?
I made a spacer from a few layers of heatshrink. It screwed down well and doesn't bind now. I suspect this my be leftover from a column replacement the Ute had years ago, something may not have lined up.

Cheers,
Joe
Blacky
State: WA

Re: Indicator mechanism wiring harness(es)

Post by Blacky »

Could be wiring to suit an auto column ? They have a light for the gear indicator
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

Joe,

1. Your indicator switch is from an FE or FC (or FB/EK commercial, just remembered). To work out how they're wired, you need to get an original FB/EK shop manual for the ute/van wiring diagram. Or you can use the wiring diagram for an EJ/EH/HD/HR to see how the reversing lights and indicator switch are wired together. I can't remember if the '62-'67 Holden indicator switches have the same colour wires as the FE-FC (all) FB/EK (commercial) indicator switches.
The second harness (purple/pink/white) is the one for the taillights on FE/FC. Just bear with me. I'll go get my EK shop manual.

------------- (Girl from Ipanema) ----------------

Yellow: L terminal on flasher can
Light blue: LHF indicator lamp
Dark Blue: RHF indicator lamp

White: to reverse light switch
Violet: RHR indicator lamp
Pink: LHR indicator lamp

Tan: Horn

2. To stop the binding condition, you need to take off the indicator switch (but not pull the wiring out of the column), and unscrew the upper bearing support (which the indicator switch mounts on) a full turn. That will have the effect of moving the honeypot a bit further down on the column. Best thing actually is to take the upper bearing support completely out, and then smear the threads on the honeypot well with the thickest grease you can find. I reckon that the bearing support has been done up one turn too many in an effort to compensate for wear in the threads.

Rob

And you'll most likely have to readjust the gearshift linkages once you've set the top end of the column up correctly.

Rob
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

ardiesse wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:09 pm Joe,

1. Your indicator switch is from an FE or FC (or FB/EK commercial, just remembered). To work out how they're wired, you need to get an original FB/EK shop manual for the ute/van wiring diagram. Or you can use the wiring diagram for an EJ/EH/HD/HR to see how the reversing lights and indicator switch are wired together. I can't remember if the '62-'67 Holden indicator switches have the same colour wires as the FE-FC (all) FB/EK (commercial) indicator switches.
The second harness (purple/pink/white) is the one for the taillights on FE/FC. Just bear with me. I'll go get my EK shop manual.

------------- (Girl from Ipanema) ----------------

Yellow: L terminal on flasher can
Light blue: LHF indicator lamp
Dark Blue: RHF indicator lamp

White: to reverse light switch
Violet: RHR indicator lamp
Pink: LHR indicator lamp

Tan: Horn

2. To stop the binding condition, you need to take off the indicator switch (but not pull the wiring out of the column), and unscrew the upper bearing support (which the indicator switch mounts on) a full turn. That will have the effect of moving the honeypot a bit further down on the column. Best thing actually is to take the upper bearing support completely out, and then smear the threads on the honeypot well with the thickest grease you can find. I reckon that the bearing support has been done up one turn too many in an effort to compensate for wear in the threads.

Rob

And you'll most likely have to readjust the gearshift linkages once you've set the top end of the column up correctly.

Rob
Thanks Rob! I very much appreciate you digging out the diagram, that's great news. I was thinking about buying and installing a reverse switch (none fitted to mine currently), so that's a good outcome. :D

I'm also grateful for the column bearing support advice. Something tells me I'm going to leave well alone, at worst, I might shave a little material off the honey pot or switch body. It's all working very nicely and disrupting it might be a bad idea, particularly if there are any stretched threads involved... Stay tuned.

cheers, Joe