New distributor to suit 138 grey

Includes wiring and battery, generating system, starting system,
ignition system, windscreen wipers, lighting system and instruments and gauges.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Quaddy
State: WA

New distributor to suit 138 grey

Post by Quaddy »

Gday peeps
Does anyone know who sells new distributors to suit the 138 grey without paying the $700 price tag? I know there's some electronic ones on eBay to suit the 138 but apparently not the grey 138. Any ideas or are they not that hard to rebuild yourself I couldn't imagine to much would go wrong inside them.
Harv
State: NSW

Re: New distributor to suit 138 grey

Post by Harv »

G'day Quaddy,

$700 is a fair bit of cash. To be honest, if your dizzy is not misbehaving, I'd give it a simple DIY freshen up. As a starting point:

a) grab the drive shaft and try to pull it in and out of the main body. As long as the movement is minimal (say less than 1mm) you'll probably get away with it (I had a dizzy with 5mm end play... it was fun trying to find that miss :( ). If it has significant end play, it will need rebushing (more than a DIY freshen up).
b) pull the cap off, and take a check for any cracks or burn marks. Check the centre contact is free to rub on the rotor button. Clean the cap up in some fuel. If the cap is bad, replace it from Repco/SuperCheap.
c) same deal with the rotor button.
d) Check to see if the breaker plate is free to move, and to snap back again. In theory you can pull this apart yourself and clean/reinstall, provided you are methodical. A little bit more complex than a DIY freshen up, but not impossible.
e) replace the points (from Repco) and set the points gap.
f) replace the condensor (from Repco).
g) if the dizzy has a greaser at the base, top it up with fresh grease.

The above stuff is relatively simple, and pretty cheap. It will probably solve most of your dizzy woes.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

If you're not a purist, I believe red and blue motor dizzies also fit. Can anyone confirm this?
I have a working red motor dizzie begging for a home FOC here somewhere if interested. Postage or collect from Willunga SA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

From my understanding, the red/blue/black dizzies will not fit a grey. The drive shaft is very different (grey motor has a bayonet to drive the oil pump).

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Trev
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by Trev »

I'd be interested in how the "pertronix" conversions are holding up that people did around 5 years ago????
This maybe your solution Quaddy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[img]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f177/trevwood/WOOFTOsmall.jpg[/img]
Woofto Car Club Member No3
Quaddy

Post by Quaddy »

Cheers for the replys
Harv I defanetly have a look at all of those things you've mentioned. I've purchased new carbys new leads new plugs new coil it has a pertronix Electronic conversion put in the Dizzy I've had a old fella run he's ear over the motor it ran pretty good for a little while and now she's back playing up. The dizzys the last thing I haven't replaced or overhauled. Any ideas
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Quaddy wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:04 pm Cheers for the replys
Harv I defanetly have a look at all of those things you've mentioned. I've purchased new carbys new leads new plugs new coil it has a pertronix Electronic conversion put in the Dizzy I've had a old fella run he's ear over the motor it ran pretty good for a little while and now she's back playing up. The dizzys the last thing I haven't replaced or overhauled. Any ideas
Quaddy , ring Mick Lambie , he is a member of our club and has just had his dizzy rebuilt by a bloke in Perth , his number is 0417 907 721
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.