Pertronix ignition problems

Includes wiring and battery, generating system, starting system,
ignition system, windscreen wipers, lighting system and instruments and gauges.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

ejspec63
State: QLD

Pertronix ignition problems

Post by ejspec63 »

Hi guys, I ended up getting a kit all good for the install but it won't fire. All grounding looks to be fine and I'm suspecting the coil isn't correct. I was sold a brand new Bosch SU12. Would you know for this is sufficient ? I'm getting 10.4 v at the coil.

I'm a learner when it comes to electrical trying to give it a go, The car is a 63 EJ 138 Grey motor running Bosch vju 6 br54 and pertronix kit 1864A.

Any help on this would be great.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Errol62
State: SA

Re: Pertronix ignition problems

Post by Errol62 »

Try charging your battery

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Is the sender pushed far enough down the shaft inside the distributor ? Mine was a bugger to get the last few mm down , dont know if it would stop it working but its probably worth checking ? As for the coil , run a wire directly drom the battery to the coil and try to start it - if it fires you know you have a problem with the feed to the coil.
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
parisian62
State: NSW

Post by parisian62 »

Is the sender pushed far enough down the shaft inside the distributor ? Mine was a bugger to get the last few mm down
I had this same problem as Blacky. I had to file the inside of the sender to get it to fit properly.
Feelin free in a '61 FB.
Member of FB-EK Holden Car Club Of NSW Inc.
Check out the Rebuild of Old Timer
ejspec63

Post by ejspec63 »

Yeah Errol tried that one tonight as well as swapping the battery.

The battery is reading 12.6V and have tried the wire to the coil blacky with no change. The voltage also stays the same at the coil 10.4v with the wire directly ? It's directly from the battery to the positive coil with the ignition wire and pertronix + there.

Electrical really isn't my strong point, a few people have mentioned ballast resisters but said they didn't use them in the EJs?

The Magnet is at the same height as the module which is where is supposed to be from what I can see in the instructions? Would yours be lower then this?

I also have this mess on the side of the engine bay. Regulator? I removed the wires from the plugs to see if it changed anything but it hasn't.

Thank you for the help guys!

Craig Allardyce
State: VIC

Post by Craig Allardyce »

It has to be a 4 ohm coil. Try the standard coil if you have one (12V not 9V ballast type)

Check your voltage at the coil with the negative terminal disconnected on the coil. It should read battery voltage on the positive terminal with the ignition on (or with it connected directly to the battery). Reconnect the negative wire and recheck. If it drops to 10 volts without cranking you have a serious short in the coil.

Yes that is the charging regulator. Make sure the two red wires are actually connected. This should be the main power feed connection from the battery to the fuse holder then onto the ignition (all via the regulator).
ejspec63

Post by ejspec63 »

Cheers Craig! Will try that tomorrow. I have 2 coils - Bosch SU12 and a GT40. These should be the 12V ones yeah? The GT40R is the ballast type? the All the wires are back on the regulator now. Appreciate the help

Craig Allardyce
State: VIC

Post by Craig Allardyce »

Yes the GT40 is 12V. Just need to check the primary coil resistance is 4 ohm. It may not be and it could damage the ignition module.