Rear Indicator issue

Includes wiring and battery, generating system, starting system,
ignition system, windscreen wipers, lighting system and instruments and gauges.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

FJWALLY
State: VIC

Rear Indicator issue

Post by FJWALLY »

Hi All - messed about today to get the horn working and the indicators working - ended up changing the flasher can to a trident one from auto-surplus but now I have a funny situation I cannot figure out

when I moved lever to left turn the front and back left hand work as they should but when I move lever to right hand turn the front right comes on and the back right but also the back left.

Dash lights are working as they should - occasionally they both come on - could it be the contact in the steering column?
Bit of a pain as I don't have a steering wheel puller to be able to check.

I had to cut out the three pin female plug as it was shorting inside but otherwise the wiring is exactly same as previous - does the plug do anything other than just a connector?
You will find me lost somewhere!
Blacky
State: WA

Re: Rear Indicator issue

Post by Blacky »

it will be a dirty earth in the right hand rear indicator that is giving you the dramas - they are renowned for it ....
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

Thanks Blacky - I'll pull the cover tomorrow and clean it up.
Craig Allardyce

Post by Craig Allardyce »

Yep as Blacky said. It'll be a bad earth somewhere. The reason for the weird operation of the lights is that the dash indicator for the side that is blinking gets its earth through the opposite side globe not in use.

http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtop ... s&start=90
Craig Allardyce

Post by Craig Allardyce »

Yep as Blacky said. It'll be a bad earth somewhere. The reason for the weird operation of the lights is that the dash indicator for the side that is blinking gets its earth through the opposite side globe not in use.

http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtop ... s&start=90
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

Love this forum - thanks guys - what do you do to clean them up - bit of emery and some contact cleaner - is it worth putting a little terminal grease on them?
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

yep - a bit of emery and some alminox if you can get hold of it , or nevr-seez or something like that.
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

No luck here guys - pull all the earth pins and cleaned all the light sockets inside and where they connect to the light housing - no luck - still get both rears on when turn the RHS indicators on.
I might have to get a auto-led to have a look but had a bigger problem yesterday - took it for a drive after a clean and the bloody radiator burst a pooper valve - have to yank it this morning and get it to the re-coreres.
Will miss the rego appointment AGAIN - DOH!
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

try hose clamping a wire around the socket body and running the other end to the body of the car.

FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

Tried that Blacky - still no joy - Contacts all seam to be ok - getting steering box re-built in the next couple weeks so will see if there is come corrosion in the lever contacts that is causing some issues