Ign switch lock barrel removal?

Includes wiring and battery, generating system, starting system,
ignition system, windscreen wipers, lighting system and instruments and gauges.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

fastenough4me
State: VIC

Ign switch lock barrel removal?

Post by fastenough4me »

Anyone know how to remove an ign sw barrel when there's no key available? According to the manual you need to turn the lock barrel to 'start' and then insert a wire into the little hole, but with no key this doesn't seem possible. Any ideas apart from angle grinder or big hammer? "angryy:
Errol62
State: SA

Re: Ign switch lock barrel removal?

Post by Errol62 »

Have a look at my recent post

http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21724

Also look for spare key stashed under the body somewhere accessible
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
fastenough4me
State: VIC

Post by fastenough4me »

Problem solved, removed pass side lock barrel and used the code to get a key cut, works 100%, thanks for the help Errol62
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Good work!
EK van on rotisserie
thebrotherj
State: NSW

Post by thebrotherj »

ok. I’ve been putting this off.

I’m keen to try another ignition switch as I appear to have a varying voltage across mine in operation.

I also don’t have a key for my ignition barrel so I do want to lock it...

Have had a thorough look under the car for a hidden key, the one that fits the door does not work it, have tried a couple of 60s Holden keys etc - no luck. Still can’t get it to the ‘lock’ position to remove with a pin.

When push comes to shove, what do people do? Try to pick it? Call a locksmith to pick it? Cold chisel the whole thing out?

Curious to hear (if anyone can be bothered) what they’ve done as a last resort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

In a situation like this, I'd try putting powdered graphite into the ignition lock to free the internals up as much as possible, in preparation for the next step -

You know the "one in ten" rule of Holden keys? Go to a club run or display day, and ask the people there whether they'd mind trying their keys in your ignition lock. All it takes is one key that fits, and you can remove the barrel and get a new key cut to the code on the barrel.

Rob
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

ardiesse wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:52 pm In a situation like this, I'd try putting powdered graphite into the ignition lock to free the internals up as much as possible, in preparation for the next step -

You know the "one in ten" rule of Holden keys? Go to a club run or display day, and ask the people there whether they'd mind trying their keys in your ignition lock. All it takes is one key that fits, and you can remove the barrel and get a new key cut to the code on the barrel.

Rob
haha yep, I hear ya. I wonder that it's a sliding scale as the key/barrel gets older, mine feels like it might be closer to 1 in 3 in that case...
thanks for the tip Rob.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

I'd go further and say add a little brute force to the graphite treatment and with any handy period GMH key hold in the jaws of large pliers, push the key firmly in to the barrel and apply torque while also firmly pushing a rod in the hole. The lock may be rendered us but sounds like it's cactus in any case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
EK van on rotisserie
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

Errol62 wrote:I'd go further and say add a little brute force to the graphite treatment and with any handy period GMH key hold in the jaws of large pliers, push the key firmly in to the barrel and apply torque while also firmly pushing a rod in the hole. The lock may be rendered us but sounds like it's cactus in any case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I’m not overly keen about damaging the original barrel but resigned to it happening if need be. Thanks for the pointer, I’ll have another muck around with this in mind when I get a chance Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

Joe,

My young neighbour just came around with his cool-looking two-tone FB sedan. Said he couldn't insert the key into the lock properly, and couldn't turn the switch to "lock".

The front half of the key was lodged in the lock, and the tumblers that I could see weren't moving.

But I found that if you unclip the chromed "slot" from the front of the barrel, then you can undo the retaining nut, and then it's easy to pull the switch assembly out from under the dash. So I told him to pull the door locks out, read the code from the door locks, and then take his ignition switch to a locksmith. The locksmith can cut a new key to match the door locks, and hopefully get the old ignition lock barrel out, and re-tumbler a new lock barrel to suit.

Oh, and when the ignition lock's in the "off" position, the little pawl that you depress with a paper clip is right in line with the key slot.

Hope this helps.

Rob