Headlight beam spread

Includes wiring and battery, generating system, starting system,
ignition system, windscreen wipers, lighting system and instruments and gauges.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

briby
State: VIC

Headlight beam spread

Post by briby »

While driving Scoobbs FB home i noticed that there seemed to be a lot of light up high to the right when close to walls, trucks etc. Looks like both, not look like, they do, are mounted about 10mm rotation too far to the left, so they both throw a beam from down left to higher on the right. Yesterday had the headlight buckets out to see if they had been mounted wrong, nope. Screwed into the right holes, if i remove screws and rotate buckets can just get corrct alignment before the adjust screws hit there cut out. While writing this, starting to think the locator lugs on the H4 headlights might be in the wrong posi. Couldn't see a brand, only H4 marking on the front of the glass. Anyone had any similar experience or suggestions, will find an original headlight and compare i guess.
Briby
A place for everything and everything in it's place, just can't remember where that place is.
Blacky
State: WA

Re: Headlight beam spread

Post by Blacky »

They aren't American are they ? designed for a LHD car ???? I would buy a cheap one and try it to see if it is the setup or the light .....
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
briby

Post by briby »

Blacky wrote:They aren't American are they ? designed for a LHD car ???? I would buy a cheap one and try it to see if it is the setup or the light .....
Hi Blacky, as you can see the beams are straight just tilted,, yeah more playing around required. Have just replaced the w/screen washer motor, (was leaking between the two halves). Cleared the jets and now have water pissing into the car from behind the dash, even more playing around, trying to get ready for a roadworhty on Wednesday.
Cheers
Attachments
Headlights 1.JPG
Headlights 1.JPG (61 KiB) Viewed 1259 times
A place for everything and everything in it's place, just can't remember where that place is.
briby

Post by briby »

briby wrote:
Blacky wrote:They aren't American are they ? designed for a LHD car ???? I would buy a cheap one and try it to see if it is the setup or the light .....
Hi Blacky, as you can see the beams are straight just tilted,, yeah more playing around required. Have just replaced the w/screen washer motor, (was leaking between the two halves). Cleared the jets and now have water pissing into the car from behind the dash, even more playing around, trying to get ready for a roadworhty on Wednesday.
Cheers
Turns out, they are crap headlights, locating lugs in the wrong place, have some projector lamps with White Halogen 55/60W globes coming, should be interesting. :wtf:
In the Shed
State: SA

Post by In the Shed »

Briby,
Ok I have to ask...... Projector lamps? Does this mean you can run home movies off the headlights?

Regards
Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
briby

Post by briby »

In the Shed wrote:Briby,
Ok I have to ask...... Projector lamps? Does this mean you can run home movies off the headlights?

Regards
Stephen
Yeah i know, i had the same thought, i pondered over lights for a while and thought i would give them a go, :erm: wouldn't recommend them. After looking at the photo above, the ascew h/lights had a better definition, and the high beam on the "projectors" just makes the low beam pattern a little brighter, can hardly see any further. Live and learn i guess.

Cheers
Briby
briby

Post by briby »

On further investigation, turns out Blacky was right, LHD headlights.
vmx-mxr
State: NSW

Post by vmx-mxr »

Not sure what is around now but back in the 70's we were all putting in Hella H4's and they are still pretty good today
Jimmy did a set in his old bare steel EK and just for a twist removed the Hella glass and fitted Lucas as original, with a result he ended up with the best of both worlds. Can't remember what glue he used but so long as it isn't silicone based which the enemy of the reflector material shouldn't be too hard
Good you got it sorted anyway
Dave Mac