Pertronix ignition USA prices

Includes wiring and battery, generating system, starting system,
ignition system, windscreen wipers, lighting system and instruments and gauges.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Craig Allardyce
State: VIC

Pertronix ignition USA prices

Post by Craig Allardyce »

Guys don't get sucked into buying the "Holden" listed item that suits a Grey Motor (12V).
Seems this supplier chucks an extra $30 or so on the cost just to rip us off here in Oz.
Use http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PerTronix-Ig ... 2ed25bb74e

It is the same item, same part number and I have used one with no problems.

I hate being ripped off and taken for granted by people that do this......... it shits me heaps.

I haven't told them but I bet they jack the lot up if they find out. :shh:
FJWALLY

Re: Pertronix ignition USA prices

Post by FJWALLY »

Are these a good investment - do they really work to make the ignition better?
Is it work installing their Coils as well or do they run equally as well off the bosch coil?
You will find me lost somewhere!
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

FJWALLY wrote:Are these a good investment - do they really work to make the ignition better?
Is it work installing their Coils as well or do they run equally as well off the bosch coil?
More info on them here:
http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtop ... 25&t=20727

They do very little for ignition performance. They do however remove the need for points and associated points maintenance. Some owners have also found their car starts easier, though to me that sounds more like crook points.

They work well with the original Bosch or Lucas coil. The Pertronix flamethrower coils are supposed to generate higher spark current (and probably do) though I have yet to test one... it's on the to-do list for my new magneto test rig.

Cheers,
Dr FrankenHarv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Craig Allardyce

Post by Craig Allardyce »

FJWally I have found them to be really good. In the past I have been a stalwart of the original points set up (I still run points in my boat) but have had a gutful of keeping the points in spec. More so probably because my back suffers and getting to the points in a grey can become tedious if not painful. Performance wise I have found a slight improvement but probably more so with starting. What is more noticeable is the fact that in all occasions I have had to reduce idle speed after fitting them which tells me there is some improvement in combustion/spark. I run standard Bosch coils which are in spec with the 4 ohm requirement for the Pertronix. I'm a mechanic by trade so I've never let the points set up get that bad in that the new Pertronix seems to be a major miracle to all cures. As Harv indicates they aren't. I still carry a spare points distributor in case. I guess the real gain is no loss of dwell due to points wear. That combined with a steel timing gear makes for a turn key reliable car for long distances...........well until something worse happens! :mrgreen:
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

Thanks Craig - good feedback.
I am used to having points in some older cars but have been a bit lazy having modern cars the past 15 years so it sounds like a good option if I'm going to use it as a daily which I want to.
You will find me lost somewhere!