New Brake Drums ?

Includes handbrake, cylinders, shoes, discs, rims and rubber.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Craig Allardyce
State: VIC

Re: New Brake Drums ?

Post by Craig Allardyce »

Sorry but I'm going to dispute using flat faced EH drums with early rims. Sorry but I have tried it and they don't work and distort the rim when you tension up the wheel nuts, hence the dished drums on earlier models. I'm happy to be proved wrong but I think its dangerous to post otherwise considering the consequences. If you get a flat faced drum and sit it in an early wheel rim you will see an amount of spacing between the drum surface and the rim face at the wheel stud mountings. Errol your post earlier with pictures shows the clear difference between the rims and the amount of dish required in the drum.

Also can you confirm the 2 9/16" dimension for the brake drums FB/EK EJ/EH? Something doesn't seem right considering EJ/EH ran wider shoes than FB/EK and Errols pictures clearly shoe that dimension to be different.

I'm really interested in the outcome to this considering availability of new original drums for FB EK being 0. I know I can get EH drums.

Cheers.
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

If what Craig says about FE EK rims binding on EJ EH drums then there must be a difference between these and EJ EH wheels. Sounds like further investigation is required. I don't have any rims that I know to be EJ EH. I only have what I firmly believe to be FB and EK and HD/HR.

As to the axle flange mounting face to inboard drum edge Craig, I took measurements from a drum I know to be EK - 2-9/16". The other drum I believe to be EJ was also 2-9/16". I will take one off my EJ rear and measure that to confirm.
Cheers
Clay

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Craig Allardyce

It's my opinion that EJ/EH rims are slightly different in manufacture to accommodate the raised outer rim of the drum. This change in the rim did not affect backward compatibility with earlier models as the early drums were dished anyway. I further believe that early rims were then superseded by the new ones hence why most say you can put EH rims on an early which is true. Its the other way that is the problem putting early rims on a later EJ/EH which I doubt would of ever happened much in the day. This stands for what was done with HD drums rims then the change to disc rims i.e. manufacturer change whilst maintaining compatibility with earlier models then supersession of the older part.
As I said, just my opinion but if any one has a EH drum and a definite early rim up to EK, try and sit the drum in the rimt face to face and you'll see what I mean.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Making me work Craig. Image
Remind me never to introduce you to my dear wife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EK van on rotisserie
Craig Allardyce

Sorry Clay lol. The last picture is a good one. See the weights on the drum and the adjacent raised rim area. That's the area that interferes with the rim face and prevents the drum from fully contacting the wheel rim face at the stud mounting hole area.

Clay if you have a dead set original EK or earlier rim try and fit that drum in the picture to the rim.
Errol62

New Brake Drums ?

Post by Errol62 »

Some thing I needed to do anyway.
I took this axle from an EJ wagon might have been an EH come to think it had 3:55 gears as I recall. I'm calling it -2-17/32"Image
Might be 2-1/2" not a biggie.
Shoes are HR disc passenger rear same linings as EJ EH front rear and 1-3/4" same as FB EK.
The difference in the rim face is obvious as Craig says. Image
EK

EH
Here's a rim off my vanImage

It's got rivets. No protrusions beyond the mounting bosses. Both drums sit fine in the rim. This is obviously not the rim type Craig is referring to
I'm pretty sure this won't bind but haven't been able to try it yet the EH diffs been out in the weather and a bit seized on the brakes.
Could it be that all my rims I think are FB EK are actually EJ EH? I seem to have 13 of the buggers on various axles and lying around. Could be a subtle difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

8 HR and 4 ROH, collected over 30 years, an FC, FB and two EKs and damn you Craig now I'm going to have to examine each of the 13!! I'm going to go and lie down now.
Cheers
Clay

EK van on rotisserie
Craig Allardyce

I also remember now asking DBA about machining the width down on a EH brake drum due to the different offset with the backing plates. They wouldn't guarantee their new EH drums after doing this I asked about them doing a run of FB/EK drums. I needed a 200 drum order commitment for them to do the run, didn't get one taker when I put it out there. All this is coming back now, hence why I went back to stock cause I was never going to get the car finished at any rate.
Craig Allardyce

Here you go Clay, I Knew I had something. This was from RDA and is their current drawing for an EJ/EH drum.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (32.15 KiB) Viewed 1707 times
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

That's excellent Craig.
It seems to me the HR rims would not work on the early drums as the indent in the HR wheel boss although deeper and more pronounced also appears to be narrower. The raised section on the early drums would stop the bosses from contacting the axle flange if my terminology is right.

EK van on rotisserie
Craig Allardyce

Not sure on that one mate. I know My HD drum rims fit on my EK standard drums ok. I used my HD spare of my trailer when I had two blowouts on the EK ute last week. Oh and by the way you might want to recheck lining width and offset. EJ/EH had a wider lining than FB/EK.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

According to my Gregory's they are both 1-3/4" which is 44mm as I measured today.

EK van on rotisserie
Craig Allardyce

Yep your right. Apologies as I got confused with some of the info I got from RDA as one of their quoted drums had a 54mm machine surface to take 2" shoes. I never did work out that anomaly but I think it had something to do with a generic drum they made for trailers that matched EJ/EH dimensions somewhat. Its a totally flat faced drum!
Capture1.JPG
Capture1.JPG (42.08 KiB) Viewed 1694 times
Craig Allardyce

This might also help. Note EJ/EH commercials had a wider shoe.
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (34.32 KiB) Viewed 1560 times
ardiesse
State: NSW

Post by ardiesse »

Clay,

(photo of rear axle a few posts back) The rear axle you're extracting from your stash of parts is from an HD or HR. Position of brake hose and style of handbrake cable attachment to underbody suggest it. And they definitely look like HD/HR rear drums.

Craig,

Some EH commercials had 1-3/4" brakes, and some had 2-1/4" brakes, by the master parts catalogue. I reckon that those with 2-1/4" brakes were post-March-1965 EH commercials, made while HD sedans and wagons were in production (much like FJ commercials were made up until May 1957, way after FE release). They would have been fitted with HD wheels (and alternators, but that's off-topic). 7429xxx part numbers are normally HD/HR.

Rob