Disc Brakes

Includes handbrake, cylinders, shoes, discs, rims and rubber.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Spotty
State: VIC

Disc Brakes

Post by Spotty »

Gidday, I'm currently changing the front drums to disc, EK 1960, while retaining the Kingpin front end. My mate bought a kit from Castlemaine Rod Shop, it's not as straight forward as they say. The biggest problem so far was the linkage that bots to the stub axle and tie rod end. Where the shoes pivot at the bottom hits the disc when trying to fit, we had to grind at least 10mm off it so we could get the disc to move. The standard master cylinder has to be changed as well, not mentioned by C.R.Shop. We still don't know If we have to change the rear wheel cylinders until we get it together, we are running a VH40 remote Power booster, boosting the front only. We have been recommended using a HQ master cylinder and running the rears unboosted. If anybody has done this mod. before any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks Spotty.
Errol62
State: SA

Re: Disc Brakes

Post by Errol62 »

Hi spotty
Sounds like you are having some fun there. I would think you would be best to remove the drum brake backing plate altogether eliminating clearance issues to the pivot stud.

HK HQ dual circuit master cylinder with boost on the front circuit only should eliminate the need to change rear brakes. Otherwise you could retain master cylinder removing the non return valve and fit an adjustable proportioning valve to the rear circuit. Or fit compatible rear brakes possibly requiring an axle housing change!
Cheers
Clay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Spotty

Post by Spotty »

Hi Clay,
we removed the complete braking system, leaving just the stub axle assembly. The bottom shoe pivot comes through past the backing plate. We had to grind the four
corners of the stub axle where the backing plate mounting bolts attach. The link is the one that bolts to the bottom 2 holes, we cut a thread into the holes as per the instructions, the instructions say nothing about grinding the link. Thanks for the advice on the master cylinder, that's good news. Next I suppose is getting pipes and hoses made up.

Thanks Spotty.
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Spotty

Post by Spotty »

Yes Harv,
that's the kit we got. The brackets themselves fit really well and look great, they supplied the caliper spacer washers and the calipers are on with pads fitted,
looks fantastic, we used Torana calipers and discs, used standard size wheel bearings, if not for mucking around taking discs on and off so many times to see where the disc was hitting, the job is pretty straight forward. If they supplied a modified linkage with the brackets, that would have been awesome.

Cheers Spotty.