seized drum

Includes handbrake, cylinders, shoes, discs, rims and rubber.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Craig Allardyce
State: VIC

Re: seized drum

Post by Craig Allardyce »

Starting to definitely look like the hose for that wheel is totally stuffed. As Tim said undo the bleeder and see if that lets the shoes return.
deecee
State: QLD

Post by deecee »

OK, some better results today. That drum would not go on so I took everything apart again (including the bleed screw) and refitted the whole lot. The drum went on - just. Perhaps I had something wrong the first time. Anyway, the ute is now driveable again - albeit with nothing happening on the driver's side brake. Enough to get me to town so the mechanic can fit new hoses.
And that retaining spring ( "angryy: ) doesn't need a special tool. I think the manual was written before vice-grips were invented.
deecee
State: QLD

Post by deecee »

Update. Drove the ute into town with one wheel cylinder doing nothing. Mechanic made new hoses for both front lines and the one connecting the rear brakes. He said the master cylinder was stuffed so it now has a new one. We also have a handbrake now.
While he was at it, he fitted a new speedo cable. We can see orange on the dial for the first time in years. I was going to buy a new fuel sender for it but the mechanic took it out and fixed it, so now we have a working fuel gauge which had been dead since 1973.
Car is back home now and all is well.