Adjusting handbrake EK sedan

Includes handbrake, cylinders, shoes, discs, rims and rubber.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

rickbantam
State: VIC

Adjusting handbrake EK sedan

Post by rickbantam »

Hi gang I've got to install a handbrake for my car to be move to Melbourne - I've installed a dodgy bracket (due to original mount being missing) got original front cable in and a rare spares rear cable installed. I've found that I have smooth movement of the handbrake handle and it tightens both front and rear cables but the rear cable does 'not lock' the drums (a little too much slack and doesn't stop the drum from spinningImage) how can I adjust this? See below a pic of the drivers side rear drum assembly (is this EK or another model?)

Thanks for your future comments

Todd
Errol62
State: SA

Re: Adjusting handbrake EK sedan

Post by Errol62 »

Those are the later brakes,EJ on.

Cables should have minimal play at wheel lever when handbrake lever is fully disengaged. Shoes need to be adjusted up for handbrake to work. Some adjustment is available via threaded rod on end of front cable but as your system is a bitsa you will need to play around with rear cable length and under gearbox lever fulcrum position.

I have used a HR cable to suit the EJ backing plates but lengthened it using galv cable and joiners but would likely not pass inspection. Original lever/bracket fitted to shortened HJ crossmember supporting HQ style Trimatic.
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie