steel rim & original EK hubcap options??

Includes handbrake, cylinders, shoes, discs, rims and rubber.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

stucross
State: VIC

steel rim & original EK hubcap options??

Post by stucross »

hey all - I have tried a quick search on this topic, but so many previous artiovels came up, it would take me all day to read through and find the info - so thought if someone has the answer it might be easier to give me a quick response to this post please..

Preferred solution: Is there any option in a 14" rim (assuming maybe HK or other) that still accommodates the original EK hubcaps? or is there a company (ROH maybe?) that makes a new option that does this? or has anyone done some minor mods to these rims, such as welding on new or grinding down existing hubcap mounting points??

if not...

Is there a 13" option that is wider than stock EK rims, would be nice to have 5.5" or 6" wide - again that accommodate the EK hubcaps.

thanks for any help or pearls of wisdom you can provide :thumbsup:
Devilrod

Re: steel rim & original EK hubcap options??

Post by Devilrod »

In short to my knowledge no. Standard EK caps will not fit 14" rims.

You can however get your 13" rims widened not sure by who as Ajax who used to be the people to see have closed shop. You will also then have trouble finding wider 13" tyres.
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
stucross

Post by stucross »

cheers Devil. i reckon there's a market for the first engineering/rim shop to make a standard 14" rim that takes original 13" hubcaps
In the Shed
State: SA

Post by In the Shed »

Hi,
Appreciate these guys are not local to you but they have been around for 30 yrs that I know of. They say on their web page they widen 13" wheels. They could probably weld in 13" centres to 14" rims too. Hope this helps.

http://www.adelaidewheels.com.au/index.html

Regards
Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

It has been a few years since I did this but I have ordered six and seven by 13" chromies from Adelaide Wheel and Rim to fit my HR disc/EJ drum setup. The back spacing was set up to maintain factory track plus 25 mm.

Any decent rim works should be able to do this for you although I understand the centres are getting harder to find. You may need to supply these.

I have seen custom 15" plus rims running EJ centres but I don't know where they were sourced. I assume you are after a custom look rather than a performance upgrade. If you want to retain original stud pattern brake clearance is probably not the issue. If you simply want to increase rolling diameter go for the tallest tyres you can get. You will achieve a more comfortable ride with less wear and tear and cost.

I tried running HK rims and caps on the HR disc hubs. It didn't look right and the centres developed stress cracks between the stud holes which could have been fatal if undiscovered.

You can't beat the look of stock caps on widened rims in my opinion.
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
57effie
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by 57effie »

I've got five 14x7 inch rims that take hub caps from FE to I think HR. They're set up for a HR disc brake front end with LX Torana rotors. They run 195/70 14's and clear everything on an FE. They are heavy though.
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

I know you can get 5inch x 13 ROH wheels made up in EK pattern which will take the original hubcaps and this is probably where I will head so I can run a 185/80 x 13 radial - would that be enough in terms of width?

currently has drag way rims and crappy radials which I hate so it has to be done - I have the original rims which are ok but need blasting and painting.

I noticed the original colour of the rims looks like white - is that right? Not same as the body colour?
You will find me lost somewhere!
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Usually body colour but enamel, which many have discovered when painting over with acrylic. White in the case of the most common two tone specials with white/colour combo.

185s are on the outer margin on 5inch rims in my opinion. Six inch rims work well. They can be set with legal track (plus 25mm) and don't look too boy racer. Low speed steering starts to get pretty heavy with radials wider than 175.

If you want stock look but radials get the 4 1/2 inch originals renovated and fit the tallest skinniest tyres you can find.
EK van on rotisserie
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

Thanks Errol - looks like the right diameter tyres are 185/80 so it's hard to get a good match - anyone know a classic cars tyres supply in something closer to a 6.40 x 13?
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

going to try the 185/80 R13 Sumitomo tyres one new ROH 13 inch rims - still only 4.5 inch wide but apparently don't balloon too much and rims will still fit original hubcaps
Just have to find someone to paint them or a close enough match to Montana Grey in a can :) - dreaming right!
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

you should be able to get a rattle can mixed up
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Make sure you're not putting acrylic over enamel.
EK van on rotisserie
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

our local paint mob now do 2 pack in a can , have used it a few times with good results.
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

yeah thanks guys - should have known someone had worked that out by now - found an auto shop that can match the original paint code and they have made a few up for me.
for those interested the shop is vgpaints in Sydney - orders and shipped same day.

PS the rims I got were 80$ each - all ROH made in Aus(one of the few sizes they still make locally and that was a far better/cheaper proposition to referring the originals which were looking very tired and were quite probably out of round.

Only thing needed for these rims is to put a small notch in the lugs to give the hubcaps a firmer fit - for some reason they no longer do that in the press process but the ROH guys assured me that it is fine to use a grinder or file and add the notch.