Trimatic to Grey Motor Conversions

Includes clutch, transmission, propeller shaft,
universal joints, differential and rear axle.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Smooth customs
State: NOT ENTERED

Trimatic to Grey Motor Conversions

Post by Smooth customs »

I am making up a conversion for a customer to fit an OZ 4 speed into his EK behind a grey motor.

This is a conversion we use to do in the mid 70's and 80's, and then a conversion kit was made available.

I also made up an Auto conversion to fit Powerglides and trimatics behind greys as well.

Is there any intrest in conversions of these types for owners of Grey motored cars
Thommo

Post by Thommo »

Gday SC
I'm looking to put a trimatic behind a grey.
From what i know,
I only need to redrill a red motor flex plate
Use red motor starter motor
hydromatic engine mounts
Find a trimatic with 360 degree bellhousing,
and right side linkages
HR neutral cut-of switch to fit to an auto colum
& plum the vaccum to your manifold.

Is there anything else that needs to be done?
Smooth customs

Post by Smooth customs »

Thommo

You have the basis of what is needed and involved.
If you have the capabilities to problem solve and do what is required to do the job that is fine.

If you dont have these skills and have to rely on someone else be it a mate or the local mechainic , a well thought out kit with all the parts required to make this a bolt together deal is the way to go.

When I did these in the 70's I used the available trans at the time and adapted them as required. Yesterday I evaluated the late trans with the 360 degree bellhousing

I have one of these conversions to do and will approach it as I have done all the conversions I have designed and produced over the last 35 years.
When it is finished, and if there is some interest I will concider producing a kit with all the parts needed.
TAYZ 58

Post by TAYZ 58 »

Thommo, I fitted a trimatic behind my grey, all of what you said is correct, its not really that hard of a job. We cut the end off an old crank shaft and used it as a template to re drill the red motor flex plate. I also bought a conversion kit from Rodger HANCOCK from Vic (hes made quite a few) which was excellent. Good luck with the conversion 8) Ive still got the instuctions here somewhere........
ekdoug67

Post by ekdoug67 »

TAYZ 58 wrote:Thommo, I fitted a trimatic behind my grey, all of what you said is correct, its not really that hard of a job. We cut the end off an old crank shaft and used it as a template to re drill the red motor flex plate. I also bought a conversion kit from Rodger HANCOCK from Vic (hes made quite a few) which was excellent. Good luck with the conversion 8) Ive still got the instuctions here somewhere........
Hi Tayz 58, I'm doing one of these conversions on my EJ at the moment and would like to get one of these kits if available....Do you have a contact number for Rodger Hancock? Thanks!
Give me shed 'till I'm dead!!
Thommo

Post by Thommo »

ekdoug67 wrote:Do you have a contact number for Rodger Hancock? Thanks!
(03) 9758 1965
Trev

Post by Trev »

I too am getting a kit off Roger, including the column shift gear linkage and gear indicator. Trev 8)
[img]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f177/trevwood/WOOFTOsmall.jpg[/img]
Woofto Car Club Member No3
ekdoug67

Post by ekdoug67 »

THOMMO wrote:
ekdoug67 wrote:Do you have a contact number for Rodger Hancock? Thanks!
(03) 9758 1965
THOMMO - Thanks for the contact Number - I went out to see Roger and the Trimatic conversion kit is simple and easy to get your head around for a non-mechanic like me. He's a great bloke to deal with and is very helpful with info and advice. When the engine and tranny are ready to go back into the EJ, I'll post a few pics!!
Thommo

Post by Thommo »

8)
mrs ratbox

Post by mrs ratbox »

there's what looks to be a very good conversion kit to do this swap on ebay at the moment
ekdoug67

greymotor to trimatic conversion pics

Post by ekdoug67 »

Hi all, Just wanted to post some pics of the greymotor to trimatic conversion kit as supplied by Roger Hancock (eastern suburbs Melb). The trimatic I used is from a HQ with shifter on the right hand side and has an electric solenoid kickdown. Earlier trimatics had a cable kickdown. The standard bellhousing has been changed to a VB commodore 360" full bellhousing.

You will need to redrill 4 holes in the redmotor flexplate to suit the greymotor 4 bolt crank.

the original greymotor mounts bolt up to the bellhousing cover plate supplied in the kit.

both of the original mount brackets have to be modified with a grinder so that they clear the bellhousing bolts.

The only other modification needed is the VB commodore bellhousing also has to have 2 holes redrilled and tapped (top bracket bolts each side).
- - - also, your torque converter must have encapsulated nuts (fixed to converter) because with the full bellhousing, you cant get to the torque converter nuts to do them up once everything is assembled!

Hope this info is useful to those considering running a Trimatic.... Cheers!

Greg.
FB MAD

Post by FB MAD »

Thanks Greg for throwing the pics up.

There's a fair bit of interest both here and other forums on trimatic to grey and photos like these are brilliant for describing how its done.
I can't think what to write here so this will do.
ekdoug67

Post by ekdoug67 »

Hi FB MAD -
......Funny thing is, my hydramatic was running quite well but the feedback on this forum indicated that the trimatic is a much better option and as luck would have it, my brother had a trimatic lying around in his garage. :D - - - more than happy to help out with a few pics!!

Greg.
mrs ratbox

Post by mrs ratbox »

there's a guy selling conversion kits on ebay to do this swap
Trev

Post by Trev »

That would be Roger :D
[img]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f177/trevwood/WOOFTOsmall.jpg[/img]
Woofto Car Club Member No3