Clutch recommendations

Includes clutch, transmission, propeller shaft,
universal joints, differential and rear axle.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

thebrotherj
State: NSW

Clutch recommendations

Post by thebrotherj »

Hello all

I'm in parts gathering mode as the driveline refurb us underway. I promise I'll give something back one day! But for now I have questions...

My 138 Grey motor and 3 speed crashbox in the Ute currently has a 200mm clutch plate fitted, heavily worn and flywheel very blued. That will be machined, but I'm wondering what clutch kits folks have used lately? Last Holden clutch I did was on a Red 6, 20+ years, so I'm out of the loop.

Is this Exedy (formerly Daiken who I remember using with no drama) unit a goer?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Exedy-Clutch ... SwyP5aHXRa

And what am I missing here that makes this one so much more expensive?
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Exedy-Clutc ... SwIrNWFEvA

My parts guy can get another brand (I forget the name) part no. KGM 20003 for around the same price as the Exedy, $170 I think.

Love to hear what folks have used, thanks in advance.
Joe.
ardiesse

Re: Clutch recommendations

Post by ardiesse »

Joe,

I've always used PBR, now Clutch Industries replacements. Some time in the last fifteen years, the driven plate's OD shrunk from 8" (203 mm) to 200 mm. Your local brake place will be able to source driven plates easy-peasy. Pressure plates are getting a little scarcer, and generally you'd take your own pressure plate in and get it reconditioned. I have got a stack of old pressure plates at home, though.

Or, you could try an EH 179 - HD - HR clutch and red motor pressure plate. I think they're more easily available. The only proviso is that the red motor pressure plate *only just clears* the inside of the grey bellhousing, and may scrape (file and/or die grinder to cure).

Rob
56FJ

Post by 56FJ »

Joe - I've just had a red motor clutch fitted into my grey box by Frank Tedesco. He knows this stuff inside out. I'm sure he would be happy to advise and / or supply the correct parts. His number is 9725 4329.
Cheers, Ken.
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

ardiesse wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:19 pm
I've always used PBR, now Clutch Industries replacements. Some time in the last fifteen years, the driven plate's OD shrunk from 8" (203 mm) to 200 mm. Your local brake place will be able to source driven plates easy-peasy. Pressure plates are getting a little scarcer, and generally you'd take your own pressure plate in and get it reconditioned. I have got a stack of old pressure plates at home, though.
Nice one. I wondered where PBR had gone too. Parts guy was complaining to me that their expansive range for locally built cars has been slashed under the new owners, dammit. He was pushing Clutch Industries 220mm 'upgrade' replacement on me but I wasn't so sure. May end up going HD spec after all, I'll have a sniff round.
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

56FJ wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:49 pm Joe - I've just had a red motor clutch fitted into my grey box by Frank Tedesco. He knows this stuff inside out. I'm sure he would be happy to advise and / or supply the correct parts. His number is 9725 4329.
Cheers, Ken.
Cheers Ken, I've only seen & heard great things from & about Tedesco's, but never been out there. Thank you very much for the pointer, I'll contact them for sure.
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

220mm, would that fit in the old housing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

Yeah, that's the $64 question. 220 mm dia is the red motor clutch dimension.
Quite a few people I know run red motor clutches in their grey drivelines without trouble. But when I did an X2 engine swap in the ex-family EK years back, I found that the outside of the pressure plate just scraped on the EK's bellhousing. I imagine that the flywheel surface is in the same location relative to the mating face in both engines.

Once bitten, twice shy: I recommend the original equipment.

Rob
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

Cool, thanks both. I’ll make some enquiries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

Just thought I'd update this thread with my findings because I know at least two of you out there were interested in how I went with my installation... and I continue to read wildly different claims across forums and Facebook posts as to what people say works and what doesn't.

I bought this Clutch Industries package advertised as "Clutch Kit Holden FE FC FB EK 6 Cyl (Grey Motor) Upgrade" from ebay for $199 delivered to my door:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Clutch-Kit- ... SwBahVJNXz

It's a 220mm diameter plate in low profile pressure plate assembly. It also included a new spigot bush (which I soaked in oil before installing) and throwout bearing. Had my flywheel machined, fitted clutch with an alignment tool, then bolted on a stock reconditioned Crashbox (stamped B169218) brushing on some Never Seize on the throwout-bearing-snout, clutch fingers and clutch fork pivot/contact points.

I experimented with a late (pressed steel) and early (cast) type clutch forks I had at my disoposal and found that the early type sat better in the aperture in the side of the bellhousing. It moved to 'fully disengaged' without hitting the front of the slot, but I wasn't sure that it made it all the way to 'fully engaged', so I used a die grinder to relieve some metal from the slot at the other end.

Now installed in the car, the clutch is not hitting the bellhousing. I have a new Protex brand slave fitted and the pushrod adjustment looks perfect - just like the workshop manual. Pedal feel is perfect, take up point is just right, not heavy but also not hopelessly light like my Mitsubishi Mirage is... Watching the clutch fork in operation, I think I was wise to relieve the hole in the bellhousing, there's now about 5mm left with pedal fully depressed.

I won't be able to take the car out for a proper thrash for some time, but it all seems fine pottering around the lane behind my place at least.

Cheers, Joe :peaceout:
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Good info. Hmm... crash box behind stocking grey...go nuts. I can’t see you breaking anything j.

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
fraze
State: VIC

Post by fraze »

I fitted a "Red" motor clutch assembly with 220mm plate to my FC a few years ago with no dramas and the pressure plate clears the bell housing no problem. Cheers, Fraze
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

fraze wrote:I fitted a "Red" motor clutch assembly with 220mm plate to my FC a few years ago with no dramas and the pressure plate clears the bell housing no problem. Cheers, Fraze
Hey Fraze, thanks for this. Your experience seems to be the case for most folks, but I think it may depend on which brand Red motor clutch you buy? I’ve heard just as many people say they had to relieve some metal from their Grey crashbox bellhousing, after installing a Red clutch kit.

I figured I’d post my findings whatever the case as I get the impression that Clutch Industries are marketing this directly at Grey/crashbox owners as an upgrade to the larger Red-motor-diameter 220mm plate inside a slimline assembly that is guaranteed to fit inside the bellhousing.

I’m pleased to confirm that it’s a good thing! :)

Cheers, Joe

Craig Allardyce
State: VIC

Post by Craig Allardyce »

I've used this kit twice and in both cases, different cars, it rubbed on the bellhousing. I guess there would be some variables between yours and ones that have rubbed i.e. machined flywheel, endfloat on crankshaft, casting dags inside the bellhousing, etc that would effect the position of the pressure plate cover or foul with it.