synchro box to grey motor?

Includes clutch, transmission, propeller shaft,
universal joints, differential and rear axle.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

fc ute
State: NOT ENTERED

synchro box to grey motor?

Post by fc ute »

have a customer that wants a hq type 3 speed synchro box bolted up to a grey motor.
has anybody done this conversion?
need to figure out the rear engine/gearbox mounts. i realise i will have to fab something but wanted to see what or if it had been done before.
i just spoke to Blacky about but he was Fu##ing useless! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Errol62
State: SA

Re: synchro box to grey motor?

Post by Errol62 »

He will end up with 4 mounts and need hydramatic tunnel or cut and shut tunnel. Mods to handbrake secondary actuator mounting, hydramatic tail shaft, red motor starter, slave cylinder adaptor bracket, clutch. Good combo with a taller diff. A search should bring up plenty on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
In the Shed

Post by In the Shed »

Hi Folks,
Just curious, other than getting synchro on bottom gear what other advantages would there be? Is it just a stronger gear box?

Regards
Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

That's all really. Easier to come by serviceable ones than crash boxes maybe. Then again I've got three here. It's a way to go if you want to keep the three o my he tree. Syncro is pretty handy on a daily.

EK van on rotisserie
fc ute

Post by fc ute »

Errol62 wrote:He will end up with 4 mounts and need hydramatic tunnel or cut and shut tunnel. Mods to handbrake secondary actuator mounting, hydramatic tail shaft, red motor starter, slave cylinder adaptor bracket, clutch. Good combo with a taller diff. A search should bring up plenty on this.

i spent about an hour today searching but it seems that most that put the synchro box in use a red motor, so get the 2 side mounts that way, i couldnt find any reference to a grey with the synchro box behind it
Trev

Post by Trev »

Look up "holdenman restomotive"

Sent from my D5303 using Tapatalk
[img]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f177/trevwood/WOOFTOsmall.jpg[/img]
Woofto Car Club Member No3
bumper
State: TAS

Post by bumper »

Can vouch for rogers columns, just put one in mine, had the steering box rebuilt at the same time! Almost dont feel like an old holden with no play in the steering :lol: :lol:
wanker????
I'd rather consider myself as an "owner operator"!!

FBEKHOLDENFANS page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/253705454864/
Trev

Post by Trev »

He certainly knows his old Holdens.

Sent from my D5303 using Tapatalk
[img]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f177/trevwood/WOOFTOsmall.jpg[/img]
Woofto Car Club Member No3
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Craig already has the column sussed - it needs to be collapsable and the car has a CRS front end so he used a HT column , just needs to mount the box using the grey setup.
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Pretty sure I've seen this described on the FE FC forum but can't seem to find it. You need to drill and tap the M22 all syncro box bell housing to take the rear mounts ex-grey crash box, enlarge and reinforce the trans tunnel and also use rear mount from the M22 box supported by a fabricated x-member. This last won't carry as much load as it does behind red motor but still needs to be supported.

It sounds like you are already committed to the M22 all syncro with the work done on the column shifter but have you considered early Toyota options? Sourcing the bell housing conversions is not as easy as it was but these were available in four speed column shift, are very strong and a lot more compact than the M22. I have heard of them being fitted to greys in FE EK without tunnel mods.

EK van on rotisserie
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

They are actually using a 3 speed - the customer wants Fabricated front end ala CRS new one , grey motor and column shifted 3 speed all synchro box.

Knowing Craig he would have sorted it all out by now ....
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

My mistake. I was referring to the M15 all syncro 3 speed available in HK to WB models. Not the M22 which is the heavy duty Muncie 4 speed, commonly known as the rock crusher.

Sounds like a sexy combo. Fair bit of effort to retain the traditional shift with much improved tractability. Should handle 100% power increase from the grey. How about forced induction and 7 bearing crank conversion?

EK van on rotisserie
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

here ya go Flames .......

Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Damn... Those linky fings don't work for me. Reactivated my myface account n evryfink!

EK van on rotisserie
mph

Post by mph »

Im interested in his collapsible column and keeping the column shift, could work with the auto shifter and look factory in the car etc :mrgreen:
Spewin i can see the pics due to not having bookface
FB-Special
Big block 161 :lol:
Holley sniper EFI.
Vintage air ducted heat and cool.
Ek auto column shift.
Lj diff and reverse lights.
WA FB~EK Car Club Member.