Air conditioning on a grey

Includes fuel system, cooling system and exhaust.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Harv
State: NSW

Re: Air conditioning on a grey

Post by Harv »

D-MAN wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:56 amneeds a 120 amp alternator minimum
:shock: Thats a monster alternator just to run AC on a grey.

The VL runs all the electronic sorcery and electric fruit, including AC, and only pulls a 70A alternator. The VE only runs 100A.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Thanks dmo. Sorry I asked.

Harv don’t forget the compressor is electrically driven. The other cars are running alternator and compressor off the crankshaft.
At that price I think I’d rather go with VC VK hardware under the bonnet. Still like the dash unit though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

Hmmm... had forgotten about the crank drive.

What gets me though is that a lot of cars run far smaller alternators (50A).

If the compressor is pulling say 40A, 15A running through some H4 headlights, another 10A through a high zoot ignition, 10A driving the wipers and another 5A driving a blower fan you could only just get up around the 80A mark (on a hot, wet night). Maybe another 30A in a Zim Pirate sound system :lol:

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Being an electrical idiot, what gets me is the price. But then I’m also a tight arse. AC is a $2800 option on new 70 series landcruisers fer crissake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
mph
State: WA

Post by mph »

Nice one mate on the pics and info ,
im not sure the passenger would enjoy all the cold air there legs only i wonder if the unit could be centered, the electric compressor is a neat idea i would be interested on the noise factor.
I think for a more reasonable budget running a engine compressor would be the way i would go and look for a unit that takes ducting to single vents
FB-Special
Big block 161 :lol:
Holley sniper EFI.
Vintage air ducted heat and cool.
Ek auto column shift.
Lj diff and reverse lights.
WA FB~EK Car Club Member.
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

if you are running a red like MPH , you have a couple of options for compressor mounting, either early model brackets or fit a blue motor head and run compressor on drivers side using factory brackets for whichever side you decide on , the rest is not too hard ?
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.