Fuel sender repair

Includes fuel system, cooling system and exhaust.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Sputzwagon
State: NOT ENTERED

Fuel sender repair

Post by Sputzwagon »

After the little drive yesterday, I noticed the fuel gauge did'nt register anything much at all (although I knew I had at lest 1/2 a tank full) Mad .
So today I thought I'd tackle the fuel sender, I have done this once before on the wagon & that turned out well. So armed with a few tools and a vacume cleaner I started.
After a good cleaning up around the sender cover I removed it then scarped clean the sender outer cover and vacumed the dirt and rust away (remembering that any crap can fall straight into the inside of the tank once the sender is removed).
Once removed you have to drill out the brass rivets on the underside of the sender to access the gut that do the work.
1: everything removed
2: you have to very carefully clean this coil of copper wire to get a good contact ...I use Brasso and a soft cloth.
3: Use wet 'n' dry 1200 grit on the contact then polish the contact as well, also slightly bend up the contact point as well (for a good contact when assembled.)
4: I also wire brush the sender housing inside & out for a good earth on the tank.
5: The cork gasket (the original one from 1961) will dry and shrink and break up, but no need to worry just make another one. I used a sheet of fine rubber but even gasket paper will do.
6: Once the fiddly bit is done you just have to re-assemble the sender and re-rivet the two bits back together, just make sure you use sealed rivets. Make sure all the contact nuts and bolts have been cleaned for a good contact.
Then stick it all back together and watch that fuel gauge work!

Scotty.
[img]http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg211/scottyharrod/WOOFTOsmall.jpg[/img]
Woofto Car Club Member No 2
parisian62
State: NSW

Post by parisian62 »

superb! thanks Scotty 8) It's now a 'sticky' fuel sender repair...

Stewart
Feelin free in a '61 FB.
Member of FB-EK Holden Car Club Of NSW Inc.
Check out the Rebuild of Old Timer
minifb

Post by minifb »

wow that easy....even i could do that..(I think) if not you will get one in the post.. :lol: :lol: :lol: Cheers Mark
FB/EKForum member 123
ImageWoofto Car Club Member No4

IF ITS NOT CHOPPED IT MAY ASWELL BE RESTORED

Member FB-EK Holden Car Club of NSW Inc.
BUTTONS

Re: Fuel sender repair

Post by BUTTONS »

Hi Sputzwaggon
I have been reading your post regarding the repair of your fuel sender and intend to give your repair method a go on my 1962 ej Holden.
On mentioning your post to the president of the Illawarra Early Model Holden Club today he also expressed much interest in your idea.
So as all the members in our club may be aware of the means involved in the repair of their fuel senders could we have your permission to copy your post into one of our future club newsletters. Of course we would aknowledge in the newsletter that you were the author of the repair method.
I look forward to a favourable reply.

buttons
Sputzwagon

Post by Sputzwagon »

Geeze ..sorry Buttons!...I've just seen this post...hav'nt been in this part of the forum for months now..(been to interested in the electrical side :roll: )...yeah mate go ahead and print it off...this is a public forum anyway..and if it helps..more power to you.

Scotty.
[img]http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg211/scottyharrod/WOOFTOsmall.jpg[/img]
Woofto Car Club Member No 2
BUTTONS

Post by BUTTONS »

Hi Scotty,
Just noticed your reply to my request.
I too dont get into this neck of the woods often as I have a 62 model ej and I mainly hang out in that forum.
Thanks for your permission to use the article.

Regards
Dennis
artyfartymarty
State: WA

Post by artyfartymarty »

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE...be carefull with fuel and vacum cleaners, please be very concious of not using a vacum cleaner directly in the vicinity of fuel or even worse, fuel fumes.....the combination of running electrical motors and fuel vapours = BANG! :shock: :shock: :shock:

also be considerate of what kind of rubber you use for the gasket, as fuel tends to perish most rubber, hence why Holden used cork in this instance in the first place...you can get a A4 sized sheet of cork sheet to cut your new gasket from most decent auto parts places. Not hard if you use a scalpel to cut the shape.
FB EK Club WA
Don't follow me, I'm lost too
stinky
State: SA

Post by stinky »

artyfartymarty wrote:PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE...be carefull with fuel and vacum cleaners, please be very concious of not using a vacum cleaner directly in the vicinity of fuel or even worse, fuel fumes.....the combination of running electrical motors and fuel vapours = BANG! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Oh yeah, I once worked with a bloke who did that trick, he was lucky to keep his right eye.
WesternWagon

Post by WesternWagon »

Scotty

Your a legend, I fixed my sender in the ute today after reading this thread :D

Gazza
Member : Holden Car Club WA.
:ASRF Member
: Secretary FB/EK holden Club of WA.
Bonkers

Post by Bonkers »

Yesterday I noticed that fuel is slowly oozing out of the point at which the sender wire leaves the fuel tank (FB wagon). I'm not 100% about this as there is a round metal cover shielding my view of it. Is it likely that I can fix this with a new gasket?
mph

Post by mph »

Great write up Thanks,
Question what are the special pop rivets you need and would you know the size , ive just removed my seized level sensor
FB-Special
Big block 161 :lol:
Holley sniper EFI.
Vintage air ducted heat and cool.
Ek auto column shift.
Lj diff and reverse lights.
WA FB~EK Car Club Member.
In the Shed
State: SA

Post by In the Shed »

G'day Clint,
Not sure on the size but the diameter is smaller than the screws around the outside. If you have a twist drill set perhaps you could try various twist drills (shank) in the hole to work out the diameter required.

Regards
Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!