Grey motor HEI Dizzys

Includes fuel system, cooling system and exhaust.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Blacky
State: WA

Grey motor HEI Dizzys

Post by Blacky »

Theres a bloke on Bookface doing a changeover conversion deal for a grey motor HEI dizzy setup. Is $350 posted and you need to send him a rebuildable dizzy .
13151944_10209037709037827_5341207581164416803_n.jpg
13151944_10209037709037827_5341207581164416803_n.jpg (56.74 KiB) Viewed 1362 times
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
thebrotherj
State: NSW

Re: Grey motor HEI Dizzys

Post by thebrotherj »

I am curious, as I contemplate electronic ignition for my Grey, but my eyes are immediately drawn to the use of a roll pin (rather than the solid pin my original Bosch dizzy has) for the gear & oil pump drive. Looks like a decent gauge roll pin.... but it’s still a roll pin. Surely that’s a bit of a concern? Or is my concern unfounded?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

That’s what reds blues and blacks have j. Dead sexy bit of kit with price to match of course.

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

Errol62 wrote:That’s what reds blues and blacks have j. Dead sexy bit of kit with price to match of course.

Ok, that puts my mind at ease.
I don’t think $350 is unreasonable at all, all things considered. I’ll start saving. Image

FJWALLY
State: VIC

Post by FJWALLY »

350 is pretty cheap - a good rebuild on standard set up with electronic points will cost 600-650 but need to be sure of whats being done for that $
You will find me lost somewhere!
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

FJWALLY wrote:350 is pretty cheap - a good rebuild on standard set up with electronic points will cost 600-650 but need to be sure of whats being done for that $
I’ve been chatting to Paul who posted the ad on Facebook, not sure if he’s on here. He has been doing batches of these for a few years now and keeps costs down by ordering bits in bulk after taking deposits for a run of 10-20 at a time. Then churns them out and moves on to the next project.

I bit the bullet tonight, even though my money is tight... but my dizzy is shot. Can’t wait to get my hands on this :)

Thanks to Blacky for posting this, I woulda missed it otherwise Image

Craig Allardyce
State: VIC

Post by Craig Allardyce »

Red and blues also run a nylon gear.....there's a reason for that and the roll pin. Later engines didn't use the the distributor drive gear and shaft to drive the oil pump. If you buy one I would piss the roll pin off and replace it with a solid steel pin as originally fitted. A broke or sheared roll pin will mean your dead on the side of the road unless you have a spare dissy in the boot.
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

Craig Allardyce wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:21 pm Red and blues also run a nylon gear.....there's a reason for that and the roll pin. Later engines didn't use the the distributor drive gear and shaft to drive the oil pump. If you buy one I would piss the roll pin off and replace it with a solid steel pin as originally fitted. A broke or sheared roll pin will mean your dead on the side of the road unless you have a spare dissy in the boot.
Well regardless of the roll-pin situation, I'm definitely gonna keep my original dizzy/cap/leads/coil locked up in the back with some emergency tools.

I've emailed Paul to query it, I'll report back. There seems to be quite a number of these units running about for a year or two now and the feedback all seems very positive, so that's gotta be worth something. Surely someone on the forum is running one? You're right though, one could easily source a solid pin and replace it.
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

The HEI dizzy for the Grey in my EK showed up today.

After chats with the manufacturer Paul, he has provided mine with a solid pin, not the roll pin he usually uses, for the lower oil pump drive/camshaft gear.

The unit is clearly top quality, instructions are thorough and clear. I’m also pleased to report it arrived with an original type female terminal dizzy cap (not the male one as advertised), so the leads I bought only recently for the old setup will swap straight on to it without mods.

Can’t wait for the Scorcher HEI (barrel style) coil that I’ve ordered to arrive so I can set it all up. I’ll post results eventually... the bonnet is currently a storage table for parts while I repair rust in the rear tub/chassis.

Joe

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

HHMMMM - you got a contact number for him ? I ordered mine when I put the post up and haven't heard a peep since .... better check the old dizzy made it to his place ?
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Very nice mate

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

Blacky wrote:HHMMMM - you got a contact number for him ? I ordered mine when I put the post up and haven't heard a peep since .... better check the old dizzy made it to his place ?
No I don’t sorry Blacky, I just spoke to him via Messenger from my dummy Facebook account (I have friends in real life I swear)

He told me he had at least 15 orders, he was posting out as of Monday this week. Definitely give him a shout and follow up, he’s quick to reply on there I’ve found.

Good luck mate!

BIGREVNEV
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by BIGREVNEV »

Ive been running one for ages :thumbsup: . Modified XE Falcon electronic diz ,just make sure to check under the cap occasionally ,There not water tight If you decide to wash your donk
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

im not putting Frod shit in my ute Nev :thumbsdown:

Got hold of Paul today , dizzy is on the way :thumbsup:

thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

Blacky wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 7:36 pm im not putting Frod shit in my ute Nev :thumbsdown:

Got hold of Paul today , dizzy is on the way :thumbsup:

hate to break it to ya Blacky... I'm pretty sure this unit from Paul is the same one Nev is talking about. My understanding is it's from a Falcon, machined to accept the Grey lower shaft arrangement.