Fuel Pump questions

Includes fuel system, cooling system and exhaust.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Marty K Bird
State: NOT ENTERED

Fuel Pump questions

Post by Marty K Bird »

Hi all, long time no post!

Still have my K Bird tucked away in a shed with not a lot done on it recently. I have been trying to start the old girl but the last few times I have tried it won't keep running.
I pulled the top off the carby and found the bowl wasn't full and I topped it up and it started and ran OK for a bit. Also cleaned out the needle and seat at the same time as it had some gunk in there from my not yet flushed tank

If I poor some down the carby it cranks over Ok.... But it won't keep idiling like it used to. If I keep pumping the throttle with the choke on I can get it to keep running for a while longer but I like to be gentle on it and not rev it too much cold.

I suspect the fuel pump is shot as we peiced together two fuel pumps to make the one working one when I first started redoing the old girl a few years back.

I have been looking at this kit http://classiccarbs.com.au/Fuel-Pump-Re ... 00.199FPK-

Looks like the right one I think

Is there any other options out there?
:peaceout:
Errol62
State: SA

Re: Fuel Pump questions

Post by Errol62 »

Looks about right and won't hurt to put a kit through it. Make sure the lever fulcrum is intact, the pivot. Maybe pull apart and check the diaphragm is shot and see if valves are working. I would be cleaning out the tank or at least fit a filter before the pump. If you cut the braided fuel line to instal filter then ensure engine block has a good earth to body.
Other alternative is to try another pump. They are easy to test off the vehicle by hand pumping.
Cheers
Clay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie