Turning Engine By Hand

Includes fuel system, cooling system and exhaust.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

rtelford
State: VIC

Turning Engine By Hand

Post by rtelford »

Bit of a dumb question, but do any of you have any tips on turning the engine by hand to find the timing mark. I have been using a spanner on the front pulley, however there is not a lot of room in the engine bay so I can only turn a few degrees at a time. Any clever ideas to make this easier?

While I am at it, do you guys loosen the distributor clamp by getting under the car, there is not much room in the engine bay here either, is there an easy way?

Rod.
Harv
State: NSW

Re: Turning Engine By Hand

Post by Harv »

Should be able to turn the engine over by manipulating the fan.

The 1/2"AF bolt that locates the dizzy should be fairly easy to access from the top.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Devilrod

Post by Devilrod »

If the engine is well used usually I find by pushing down on the fan belt with one hand and turning the engine fan with the other does it. If your fan belt is really tight you might not need to push down on it as that just stops it slipping and you can use two hands on the fan.
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
fingers

Post by fingers »

Take ya plugs out if ya havent already .......
Don’t you find it Funny that after Monday(M) and Tuesday(T), the rest of the week says WTF?