temperature light

Includes fuel system, cooling system and exhaust.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

timbo.ambo
State: NSW

temperature light

Post by timbo.ambo »

I want to check the temp warning lamp on my dash. I realise that if the light comes on (and I'm quoting the workshop manual here) my engine is "seriously overheated". so better to prervent.

But still, I'm keen to know if it works. The manual instructs me to find the thermo switch that's screwed into the cylinder head. I need to disconnect it, and ground the wire. the light should come on. Then there's the bit about heating a beaker of oil etc....
Anyway, could someone direct me to this thermo switch on my grey motor please.

I found the oil wire (down next to the dip stick) and another up and around the other side of the block. Dunno if that's the one or not because the temp warning lamp didn't light up when I grounded it.

PS should the dip stick have a rubber collar that makes it fit snugly and secure?

Thanks for your advice
Tim
(Grafton)
Harv

Re: temperature light

Post by Harv »

G'day Tim,

The wire down near the dipstick is the oil pressure warning lamp. It comes on when you have no oil pressure. You test this every time you start the car - turn the ignition to the "on" position (not "start"), and the light should come on (as the engine is not spinning, you have no oil pressure). You can test this one too by disconnecting and grounding it, provided the ignition is in the "on" position.

The wire at the passengers side rear top of the cylinder head is the temperature sender. Turn the ignition "on" (engine not running), then disconnect and ground it.

Could be blown globes, a bad earth in the dash, or a crook wire.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
timbo.ambo

Re: temperature light

Post by timbo.ambo »

Thanks Harv.

Yeah, this is the wire I disconnected and grounded. The dash temp light didn't illuminate, my money is on a rusty/dirty ground connection... seems to be an easy fixed common fault with this old dear. The horn, rear number plate lights, fuel gauge all needed a connection polish up.
Attachments
IMG_5074.JPG
IMG_5074.JPG (106.83 KiB) Viewed 648 times