Need a new fuel tank.....

Includes fuel system, cooling system and exhaust.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

fingers
State: VIC

Need a new fuel tank.....

Post by fingers »

I'm about to order a new fuel tank from M &C Dean ...but before I do I wouldn't mind some input and other suggestions ....look forward to your ideas ...:fingers
Don’t you find it Funny that after Monday(M) and Tuesday(T), the rest of the week says WTF?
Harv
State: NSW

Re: Need a new fuel tank.....

Post by Harv »

G'day Fingers,

I bought a tank from Marty about 8 years ago. They are beautifully made, with nice rounded corners. Marty supplied screws to attach the tank to the car, which I replaced with some bolts (more for neatness sake). The fuel sender Marty supplied works well, though has a carbon steel top that is susceptible to rust. Mine has sat in a dry environment, and still managed to rust the sender top (albeit lightly). I killed the rust and painted it, though it would be easier to do so before rust sets in. The tanks don't come with any means of securing the sender cable between the sender and body - you end up with about 1' of cable that is susceptible to being pulled around by anything that lies on top of the tank. Not a big deal, and easy enough to fix with some double-sided tape. I asked Marty to supply only a single outlet on my tank (no return fitting). It works OK for me, as I have a carb setup. In hindsight, I should have asked for a couple of return line nipples, and plugged them (just in case I wanted to run injection later).

One thing I haven't checked is whether Marty's tanks comply with the NCOP departure angle requirement. In simple terms, NCOP requires that the tank doesn't drag. Imagine being Superman, and picking up the front end of the car. NCOP says that as you lift the car, you should be able to flip the car over backwards without the tank bottoming out (ie the rear of the car would hit the ground before the tank does). NCOP defines "the rear of the car" as "the permanent bodywork". This could mean the rear subframe rail, or the rear bumper. A simple eyeball test looks like mine must be pretty close to compliant, but I haven't checked with a stringline. It may be wise to ask Marty if he has checked this on his tanks.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
fingers
State: VIC

Re: Need a new fuel tank.....

Post by fingers »

They look well made Harv ...I will check with Marty on the depature angle ...I wasn't going to put a return line but maybe I should ...thanks for the input mate ..Fingers
Don’t you find it Funny that after Monday(M) and Tuesday(T), the rest of the week says WTF?