Interesting eBay item

Includes fuel system, cooling system and exhaust.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

DanFranko
State: NOT ENTERED

Interesting eBay item

Post by DanFranko »

Ok grey speed gear guru's...thoughts?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/222202073316

Dan
Harv
State: NSW

Re: Interesting eBay item

Post by Harv »

Could be a Yella Terra head:
http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtop ... 25&t=20558

... or could be just a head that someone has worked (ported and relieved) and given a belt of yellow paint. Sounds weird that a Yella Terra was never milled for higher compression though.

$1500 for headwork is plausible, though for that kind of cash I'd want to see valves, retainers and springs.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
GreyEJ
State: VIC

Post by GreyEJ »

Very expensive. I have 2 yellaterra heads and both were shaved.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
ekstevo
State: VIC

Post by ekstevo »

Who would even want that head? How many blokes have built hot grey motors in the last 20 years? There wouldn't be many. The day of the Hot red blue black motor is gone. Hot grey motors were rare when I was a kid in the 70's. How long did a hot grey hang together on the street again.
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

ekstevo wrote:Who would even want that head? How many blokes have built hot grey motors in the last 20 years? There wouldn't be many. The day of the Hot red blue black motor is gone. Hot grey motors were rare when I was a kid in the 70's. How long did a hot grey hang together on the street again.
There's still a few around 8) 8) 8)
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Hot greys can be fun, and reliable.

I have a head on my FB sedan that has had similar work to a Yella Terra type standard - ported, relieved, titanium retainers, heavy springs, oversized valves, new guides and seats. It's hot enough to have made Dave grin when he drove it a few months back. It does a lot of work, both Sydney stop/start and freeway towing... never had any issue with the head.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Mick

Post by Mick »

:lol: :lol: yeah quite a few hot greys get built and most the people spend crazy money doing it and they certainly aren't doing it for speed as for the reds well that's quite healthy there's plenty going on with them (you can throw the blues and blacks in with the reds)
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
Harv

Post by Harv »

Mick wrote::lol: :lol: yeah quite a few hot greys get built and most the people spend crazy money doing it and they certainly aren't doing it for speed as for the reds well that's quite healthy there's plenty going on with them (you can throw the blues and blacks in with the reds)
Agree. There are some mighty healthy red/blue/blacks out there.

You're right though, the days of a cheap hot grey are gone. I'm slowly pulling the parts together for a meth monster grey - strengthened bottom end, the same head from above, a Norman and methanol injection diet. I figure I can get 150 ponies, and want to see how close to 200 I can get before something lets go. For a similar amount of cash, the SBC in my wagon makes double that grunt. They're both fun, just for different reasons.

Cheers,
Harv
DanFranko
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by DanFranko »

Well it didn't appear to sell for the price offered!