V6 surge tank fuel lift pump pressure PSI (RESOLVED)

Includes fuel system, cooling system and exhaust.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

eKay
State: NSW

V6 surge tank fuel lift pump pressure PSI (RESOLVED)

Post by eKay »

Hi Folks,

Anyone able to identify this electric fuel pump for me just by looking at it. I need to replace it as it appears to be leaking out of it's electrical connection that leads into the pump. I haven't removed it yet to see if any other markings, as I was hoping to get a replacement and do it all in one hit.
Lift 3.JPG
Lift 3.JPG (72.71 KiB) Viewed 502 times
Lift pump to surge.JPG
Lift pump to surge.JPG (88.07 KiB) Viewed 502 times
It feeds from my fuel tank to a surge tank for a V6. If it can't be easily identified, what kind of PSI should I look for in a replacement pump to feed the surge tank?

From the surge tank, another pump feeds to the motor, so I am presuming it doesn't need to be high pressure.
Rotate clockwise
Rotate clockwise
Surge tank.JPG (78.21 KiB) Viewed 502 times
Also, anyone had experience with surge tanks on V6? Would I need to depressurise the fuel system working on the back end of the system?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by eKay on Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eKay
State: NSW

Re: V6 surge tank fuel lift pump pressure PSI

Post by eKay »

All good folks, looks like it is a universal marine pump according to evilbay and the flow rates are close to what I calculated. Think I might change it out for a Carter or similiar quality. Sorry to waste time and bandwidth :erm:

Further update, in the interest of sharing, because I didn't know;
Holley (USA) now make small solenoid style fuel pumps, perfect for lift pump and carby setups if space is an issue. They are called Mighty Mites. There are three models. Apparently good for a main pump for any naturally aspirated carby to 400hp. I bought the middle 12-427 for the issue described above, slightly overkill but it was the same price as the smaller one. https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_sy ... rts/12-427

Regarding depressurising injected fuel systems before working on them, it is only required for everything between the main (HP) fuel pump and injectors/rail. Any other lines should not be under pressure. If you are unsure, depressurise the line as per manufacturers guidelines for motor or at least hold a rag to the joint you are undoing and be prepared for fuel spray.

regards