Twin carbs and auto linkages

Includes fuel system, cooling system and exhaust.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

DanFranko
State: NOT ENTERED

Twin carbs and auto linkages

Post by DanFranko »

Heya guys

I have been looking at fitting up my Speco twin carbs to the EJ. The problem that I have struck is that there seems to be no simple way to connect the original hydramatic kick down linkages.

The one guru I went too was shaking his head and didn't have an easy solution. It was suggested to try weld an original bracket to the Speco manifold, but I don't think that welding to the alloy is all that practical.

The only solution offered is to run without those linkages, which I am not willing to do. Nor do I think you can...

Has anyone else struck this issue or am I the only fool to try hot up a grey auto?!?

Any advice appreciated.

Dan
Craig Allardyce
State: VIC

Re: Twin carbs and auto linkages

Post by Craig Allardyce »

Mate definitely don't run with out the linkage. The linkage controls clutch pack pressures and shift points. You could end up doing some bad damage from slippage or harsh gear changes.
DanFranko
State: NOT ENTERED

Re: Twin carbs and auto linkages

Post by DanFranko »

Defn won't be run without the linkages....

I found a willing fabricator. It can be done but need to convert to a cable throttle. The linkages could then be fitted to a modified point on the intake.

But...decided I don't want to go thro all that. So I will likely look to sell my twin setup.

Even the Myers headers slightly fouled the accelerator linkage and it had to be modified slightly.

Overall story is that I would think it makes sense that all the hot grey gear is much more easily fitted to the earlier non-auto models. Seeing the EJ was the last of that breed it's no real surprise that I have had a harder time!!

Will take some pics of the headers when I collect the car this arvo.