Header coating/prep

Includes fuel system, cooling system and exhaust.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Harv
State: NSW

Header coating/prep

Post by Harv »

I'm pulling together all the odds and ends for my EK wagon, and would appreciate some views on how to deal with my headers (extractors).

They are CRS headers to suit the SBC, bought new about 10 years ago. They are not perfect, but do the job (it's not easy clearing the steering column on the driver's rear cylinder). I ran them quite a few times as the car was being pieced together, and they now have a light rust coating on the outside. They are not pretty, though the rust is no worse than most of the headers I've owned (light flaky crap, not heavy structural rust).

I can see a few options here:
a) leave them as they are. The rust won't develop much, and I'll probably get 10-15 years out of them. The wagon will be a daily-driver, not a show pony. Seems a bit of a shame though, as the paint and panel that Dave has done is pretty damn good.
b) give them a clean-up with a wire wheel, then a coat of high-temperature header paint. Not a big fan of this option. All the SuperCheap/REPCO type header paints I have used look good for about a month, then start peeling/burning off/rusting out. Maybe someone knows of a fancy paint that stands up better?
c) clean them up with a wire wheel, give them a hit of high-temp header paint, then put on header wrap (I already have the wrap). The wrap I probably need anyway for some heat insulation. Some guys swear that header wrap causes headers to rust out, but it seems like rumour - has anyone had a bad experience of header wrap on a vehicle that is regularly used?
d) Have the headers ceramic coated. Feels a bit like overkill for a daily driver, and I'm not sure how much insulation effect I would get. Anyone had headers coated in Sydney?

Appreciate views.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
parisian62

Re: Header coating/prep

Post by parisian62 »

I used a VHT high temp for headers in a rattle can on my hotted grey...still holding up very well 3 years later...
Feelin free in a '61 FB.
Member of FB-EK Holden Car Club Of NSW Inc.
Check out the Rebuild of Old Timer
Craig Allardyce
State: VIC

Post by Craig Allardyce »

Harv header wraps are good and bad. I used that stuff in my FC (SBC 400) as I realy needed to get the under bonnet temps down especially for traffic work. It did make a big difference. It also helped with reuding heat soak into the starter. Anyone who's had an old SBC would know of how much fun they are to start when hot.
As you have indicated I have heard of others not liking the wrap material, not for rust, but for burning the pipes out from getting too hot. Cladding retains the heat.....you cant have both.
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

No options in cast iron Harv?
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Harv

Post by Harv »

Errol62 wrote:No options in cast iron Harv?
Sadly, not really.

The main drama is #8 cylinder. The CRS front-mount rack and pinion setup doesn't have much flexibility in where the steering column ends up. I shifted it as much as I could, but you still end up with the column very close to #8 cylinder.

To fight this, the CRS headers have a very, very tight bend radius on the #8 cylinder primary pipe... about 1/2 the pipe diameter :shock: . The gas comes out the #8 cylinder exhaust port, then almost vertically up. The rest of the CRS primaries are nice and smooth.

Most of the cast headers (like the rams-horns) are not tight enough to clear the steering column.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
DanFranko
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by DanFranko »

I also used VHT manifold paint on the Myers headers. I used the furnace at work to fire them to the required temps to set the paint. Will see how long it lasts, but their instructions were followed to the letter. The finish looks mint too.
Devilrod

Post by Devilrod »

I've found over the years the vht stuff works well provided you keep oily greasey hands off them.
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
pauly

Post by pauly »

Im not sure on the cost of ceramic coating it but if the cost is not too high wouldnt that be the better option ?
Provided everything was done correctly it would be do it once and more or less forget about it.
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Ceramic coating is pretty spendy , I also used VHT paint on my Speco headers and they still look pretty good 6 years later .
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Harv

Post by Harv »

The wagon will be a daily driver, in Sydney traffic. Heat management is pretty important to me. When I mentioned ceramic coating to the engineer (some time ago) he wasn't confident in it's heat retention, and recommended thermal wrapping.

Ballpark costs
ceramic coating: $450 (Competitive Edge Coatings)
new CRS headers: $680
VHT paint: $40 (2 cans)
thermal wrap: $120 (DEI)

I think I will go with wire wheeling (to pull off the existing rust), VHT'ing on the outside (to keep any rust under control under the wrap), then thermal wrapping. If the headers burn out, I'll pony up the extra cash for a new set and ceramic coating.

Cheers, and thanks,
Harv
Craig Allardyce

Post by Craig Allardyce »

Just wondering Harv. Could you flip a set of Rams Horn manifolds and fit them in? That would place the high side of the manifold downwards and tighter towards the inside because of the V shape of the block. Engine pipe would then be single vertical going in the same plane as the headers you have out through the existing holes in the inner guards. Not sure about access to spark plugs though.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Craig Allardyce wrote:Just wondering Harv. Could you flip a set of Rams Horn manifolds and fit them in? That would place the high side of the manifold downwards and tighter towards the inside because of the V shape of the block. Engine pipe would then be single vertical going in the same plane as the headers you have out through the existing holes in the inner guards. Not sure about access to spark plugs though.

Hmm... could work. Would have to have a fiddle with the master cylinder though, as it is pretty close on the "up" side of the cylinder head.

Then again, if my son catches me reversing exhaust manifolds he will start wondering when the turbo is coming :lol: .

Cheers,
Harv
Harv

Post by Harv »

Harv wrote:I think I will go with wire wheeling (to pull off the existing rust), VHT'ing on the outside (to keep any rust under control under the wrap), then thermal wrapping.
I had a good conversation with the DEI guys in the US, who have done a fair few sets of manky, rusty headers like mine. They recommend wire wheeling to get rid of the surface rust. They then give the headers a coat of their silicone-based heat proof paint. The coating is not absolutely necessary, and will burn off (from under the wrapping) over time. It's more a piece-of-mind thing. After the paint, they wrap the headers. One of their products (the standard one) gets a coat of the silicone paint over the top to keep grease, water and crap off the wrapping. Their Titanium product doesn't need over-painting.

Should get my headers sorted in the next few weeks - will take some photos as I go.

Cheers,
Harv
Joe_FBHolden

Post by Joe_FBHolden »

I'm interested to see how you go Harv. Hopefully i get the first set of Jack Myers fitted in the next few months, twin manifold is ready and waiting. I'm also considering whether to get my spare set ceramic coated for future use (few years down the track) and offset the cost now. Anyway looking forward to the pics

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Harv

Post by Harv »

Some photos of the wrapped headers.

Manky rusty header on one side, wire wheeled version on the other:

A quick coat of DEI High Temperature silicon spray:

And the final wrapped header hanging off the Chebby (including the infamous No8 pipe with its harsh bend):

To do both banks it took about 1.5 rolls of the 2" DEI wrap, one can of the paint, one packet of the short stainless cable ties and two packets of the long ones. I didn't end up wrapping the No.8/No.1 primary pipe flanges... couldn't get the wrap to sit right, may need to break the flange to remove the headers, and the high temp under wrap won't do the gasket/bolts much good.

Cheers,
Harv