Braided fuel hose to replace

Includes fuel system, cooling system and exhaust.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Gossy
State: NSW

Braided fuel hose to replace

Post by Gossy »

Hi all,
Not sure yet but, It may be that I need to replace the braided fuel hose that leads to the pump.
Fuel is not getting into the glass bowl and I am thinking the fuel line is the problem. Going to start by looking at the braided hose. It may be faulty.
I understand that this is an important part in terms of earthing the electrics.
I have seen a original replica one on eBay for $100 bucks. I love keeping everything original but it is not a show car, more a work car and budget does come into it here.
Can anyone tell me what actual qualities it should have to function as an earthing device and run fuel to the pump?

Has anyone replaced with something else that is ok and not $100 bucks. stainless braided rubber hose for example.

Any wisdom,
Much thanks
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (55.36 KiB) Viewed 1008 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (74.62 KiB) Viewed 1008 times
Blacky
State: WA

Re: Braided fuel hose to replace

Post by Blacky »

its fine to replace it with rubber, just run a cable from the block to the body or from the negative battery terminal to the body to compensate .
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Harv

Post by Harv »

What Blacky said :)

Easy to replace it with rubber fuel hose and a hose clamp either end. Most people have no troubles at all with this, even though in theory the braided line is an earth. My FB runs like this for example.

The engine tends to find its own earth through either the choke cable, or crappy engine mounts. If you are unlucky though (say if the coil shorts) the choke cable can get mighty hot. The separate earth wire that Blacky suggested is good insurance for this case.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Gossy

Post by Gossy »

Thanks Fellas!
much apreciated
BG
pauly

Post by pauly »

sorry to dig up an old thread, but im in a similiar position as above, my question is when i go to replace the braided hose with rubber i will need to modify the steel line that screws up to the old braided hose as it is flared and has the sliding screw up fitting on it.
do i just cut the flared end off ?

cheers
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Yep , it is on the low pressure side of the pump so a hose clamp on a bit of straight pipe shouldn't be a drama.
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
pauly

Post by pauly »

thanks mate