Harv's Repco HighPower crossflow head thread

Includes fuel system, cooling system and exhaust.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Harv
State: NSW

Harv's Repco HighPower crossflow head thread

Post by Harv »

Ladies and gents,

I've been stashing away info on Repco HighPower crossflow heads for a while, as have others. I'm going to use the thread below to store the info I have to hand. Like my grey motor Yella Terra head and magneto threads, I don't think this will end up as a Guide... but it should be a decent resource anyway. If nothing else it will store the info in one single location.

Just like Normans, Yella Terras and maggies, there is a fair share of supposition and outright bullshit. Where I can I will include the source of the data posted. I will also include the cover of magazine articles where I can.

To kick things off, I've attached below what I believe to be a technical brochure issued by Repco. I've tidied the document up to remove creases, staples and dirt, especially the last page with the graph. Note that there are two separate variants of the fourth page (the one that begins talking about cooling) - one with the graph at the bottom and one with Repco's contact details (the text is different too). It would appear that Repco had at least two versions of this brochure. I've also included an installation sheet and a pricelist, which may well have been separate Repco documents (they are page numbered differently).

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Harv

Re: Harv's Repco HighPower crossflow head thread

Post by Harv »

Another Repco brochure, this one a little less technical:

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Magazine article "Up to 138 b.h.p FROM HOLDEN" from Australian Motor Manual September 1956, reviewing the Repco HighPower head:

Cheers,
Harv
Harv

Post by Harv »

Magazine article "200 HORSES FROM AN UNBLOWN FJ" from HOT HOLDENS AND CUSTOMS NO. 2 (I suspect 1970 or 1971), reviewing Barry Ferrari's FJ Holden drag car:

Cheers,
Harv
Harv

Post by Harv »

Magazine article "AUSSIE BATTLER" from Unique Cars Issue 276 (August September 2007), reviewing the Repco Holden Special:

Cheers,
Harv
Harv

Post by Harv »

What I believe to be a newsletter article "HOLDEN" from the South Australia Classic Speedway Association (date unknown), reviewing the Repco HighPower Head:

Cheers,
Harv
Harv

Post by Harv »

Attached below are images and a video of Dave’s boat, Bernadine BQ2N.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTVCrimS0IU

Bernadine BQ2N was built by Goodlear Speed Craft (probably by Jim Swanson, cofounder of Swansons Brothers Yachts) in 1958 for Jack Casey, who ordered it as a 40th birthday present to himself. Jack purchased the HighPower head new directly from Repco and then built a dry sumped, water cooled race engine around it. The boat was campaigned from Northern NSW until being retired in the late 1960’s. Jack won many races, with a top speed of 68mph at 7200rpm. Following Jack’s passing, the boat was sold by Jack’s son to Dave. Dave now holds the paperwork from Repco for the HighPower head, including a letter from the boss who worked with Jack Brabham, period pictures and home movies of the boat racing, the family skiing, the boat being picked up from Goodlear and the new Repco head on a stand.

Dave also owns the hydroplane Chinook which ran a Repco HighPower head. Chinook is a record holder, holding the 155ci record at 106mph@8100rpm with Len Arnott piloting on Lake Eppalock, Victoria in 1975. The boat was later renamed Fast R and campaigned by Bob Buchanan for many years, proving to be a championship winner. The photo below shows Fast R:

When the hydroplane was sold to Dave it was missing the engine and McGee fuel injection, which the seller wished to put into an FC Holden with Lucas timed fuel injection. Dave has since been able to source the original crank, bottom end, bearing strongbacks, dry sump set-up, McGee injection and right angle driven Avro Ansen starter… though sadly not the HighPower head.
]

Some other HighPower-headed boats include:
• Kookie, a 12’ Victorian skiff raced extensively around Victoria and South Australia in the 60’s.
• Viper, a clinker skiff running triple Stromberg carbs.
• Snoopy, a hydro running fuel injection.

Cheers,
Harv
Harv

Post by Harv »

Magazine article "Q-SHIPS OF THE ROAD" from Modern Motor October 1958, examining Bob Holden's black ex-taxi FE Holden (more on this vehicle later 8) ):

Cheers,
Harv
Cocko750
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by Cocko750 »

Nice work mate , if I ever find anything on them I'll send it through , some cool stuff was acheived back then .
Harv

Post by Harv »

Article "Ivan Washinton and Bob Holden" from Worm-Drive Warriors, a series of articles published by the Peugeot Car Club of Victoria that tell the stories of Peugeots on Australian racetracks in the 1950s and ‘60s. The article tells of Bob Holden's black ex-taxi FE Holden (still got some more on this vehicle to come):

Cheers,
Harv (super-secret Peugeot botherer).
fb delivery
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by fb delivery »

COOL
How many crossflow head's were made ?
i was told 105 , i think it was more ?
i know of a few here in town
1 in a FX ute
1 in a FC sedan
1 in a lounge room on a motor, with a compete head under a bed { well know of , up here}
and 1 on a car in Dalby

Cheer's Rob
Harv

Post by Harv »

fb delivery wrote:How many crossflow head's were made ?
Opinions vary between 100 and 150. I've not seen anything that substantiates a given number though.

Cheers,
Harv
GreyEJ
State: VIC

Post by GreyEJ »

I know a guy who's father worked for Repco at the time and was in a position to know. He worked with old grumpy ( Phil ). He is elderly but still know whats he is on about. He said at the time the heads were cast in several different locations and actual numbers were up around 300 with lots unusable. He estimates closer to 200 working heads hit the market.
GreyEJ
State: VIC

Post by GreyEJ »

Harv

Post by Harv »

Ladies and gents,

A few more magazine articles:

Magazine article from Wheels, November 1956 “More Power for Holden Engines”:

Magazine article from Wheels, July 1962 “Highpower Hoot For Your Holden”

Magazine article from Sports Car World, October 1958 “Mr Holden and his Remarkable Holden”:

Cheers,
Harv