Colour of Engine Parts ? ...

Includes fuel system, cooling system and exhaust.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

CHO576
State: NOT ENTERED

Colour of Engine Parts ? ...

Post by CHO576 »

Hi there,

I'm going for the Stock / Original look on my FB Special Sedan.

My current Grey motor has heaps of (non stock/original) chrome parts that I want to get rid of.

Does anyone know which colours are stock for the following engine parts:

* Rocket Cover
* Rocket Cover Oil Cap
* Engine Side Plate
* Air Filter holder/container
* Engine Fan Blades and Fan Blade Support
* Engine Breather pipe (below side plates)

My guess is that they are probably all either 'Holden Grey' Or 'Matt Black' (??) but would like to be sure before I take the time to sand/spray/replace etc.

:?:

cheers
J
rosco
State: VIC

paint

Post by rosco »

Hi J,
I'm fairly confident that all of your parts in question with the exception of the air cleaner housing were sprayed engine grey - it seems to vary from state to state, factory to factory or even batch to batch .
I have seen the grey in a "Massey Ferguson" type neutral grey, a "Castrol oil" green grey, even an almost "clinker grey" from what I remember of years gone by when we were kids - I think some in our club are of the opinion that whatever paint was around on the day was all mixed in resulting in whatever "grey" prevailed.
The air cleaner housing as best as I can remember before I ditched my original for a foolish 7" gauge type with a nice chrome cover, was either a very dark charcoal or satin black with almost a hint of gloss.
Hope this has been some help,
interested to hear what others think?????
frats,
Rosco
Dr Terry
State: NSW

Post by Dr Terry »

Hi Guys.

I know this was posted a few months ago. but I only just found you guys.

rosco is basically correct, everything on the list with the exception of the air cleaner is 'Holden Engine Grey'. The air cleaner is a mid gloss black. You might see them in a flat black, but this is either old paint faded or somebody's incorrect paint job.

On the subject of the different Greys, all Holden engines are produced in one plant (at Fisherman's Bend), so where the painting of bodies varies from plant to plant, the paint on the engines does not. The only variation I've noted in Holden engine grey, is that the very early engines (pre-'52) seem lighter than the later engines in original form. But 98% of engines you see these days have been recondioned at least once, & the recnditioning companies used jusy about any colour they pleased.

Dr Terry.