lowered

Includes shock absorbers, springs and steering linkages.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

mikey_ok
State: NOT ENTERED

Re: lowered

Post by mikey_ok »

I've been lowering the car slowly as bits come along... and have pics of the progress and details of the setup for comparison. Wheel/tyre choice seems to make a big impact on the look of the ride height of the car - bigger wheels will raise it back up a little bit, but getting the wheels to tuck under the guards also helps to make it 'look' lower. Caps/whitewalls, etc. also made an impact... The car's certainly not slammed, but it's getting better. :D

I recently found out I got the car with an extra leaf in it already. So, here's the setup as it was:

13x6 rims, 205/65R13 tyres (Extra leaf):
Low-ish profile tyres add to the 4x4 stance.

13x6 rims, 205/65R13 tyres, Pedders Heavy Duty springs and 2 inch blocks (Extra leaf):
Had some wheel rubbing at the rear with the wide rims and 205s, so got some narrrower wheels...

13x5 rims, 185/80R13 tyres, Pedders Heavy Duty springs and 2 inch blocks (Extra leaf):
Looking at the sill height, it had a bit of a rake...

Had Moorabbin Spring Works reset the rear springs (lower @ 3 inches) to level it out.
13x5 rims, 185/80R13 tyres, Pedders Heavy Duty springs and reset rears (Extra leaf):
Getting the springs reset tidies up the back without seeing them hanging down - the rears alot stiffer (you notice the bumps!) but also tighter (less floaty). Now the exhaust is pretty well resting on the spring, so that's the next thing that needs doing.
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

Looking good Mikey. As you have pointed out there are quite a few factors when lowering these old girls.
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
skin_dog

Post by skin_dog »

I'm looking to do the same thing (still) but one thing that has not been asked is what if i don't have "heavy duty" springs??
I've already bought the springs, they are 30mm lowered King Springs, but nowhere in the description does it say anything about being "heavy duty"......thoughts?......
Devilrod

Post by Devilrod »

skin_dog wrote:I'm looking to do the same thing (still) but one thing that has not been asked is what if i don't have "heavy duty" springs??
I've already bought the springs, they are 30mm lowered King Springs, but nowhere in the description does it say anything about being "heavy duty"......thoughts?......
Shouldn't make that much of a difference. Ride won't be quite as harsh.
skin_dog

Post by skin_dog »

Thanks DR, so you think that with a 30mm lowered spring i'd be safe to chop 1 coil off? I should probably fit them first and see but i'm so damn impatient.
Trev

Post by Trev »

I would fit them first, just incase they are the correct height.
Unless you want to buy new spring twice if it doesn't work out.
I also have found that using HKTG springs are heavier duty than the stock HR springs.
[img]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f177/trevwood/WOOFTOsmall.jpg[/img]
Woofto Car Club Member No3
skin_dog

Post by skin_dog »

Yeah I guess I better do it the right way.
These ones are EK springs.
Devilrod

Post by Devilrod »

What Trev said. Also if you are really unsure you can cut half a coil and see where it sits although seeing as you're impatient that's probably not going to happen :mrgreen:
skin_dog

Post by skin_dog »

:ebiggrin: no no I really shouldn't cut corners this time. The Ute was such a jalopy due to my impatience. Gotta harness my chi.
mph
State: WA

Post by mph »

Gday.
After loping a coil and 1/4 off my lowered kingsrings i to have found myself very close to the bump stop, similar gap when i lowered my hr previously.
With my standard fb front end and close bump stops, i was having a look tonight im thinking about holesawing from underneath the bumpstop cup out then lowering the metal cup down 30mm ( approximately ) and re welding it back in so i dont have to touch, reshape or loose the rubber size of the bumpstop. Has anyone had a crack at this yet.
FB-Special
Big block 161 :lol:
Holley sniper EFI.
Vintage air ducted heat and cool.
Ek auto column shift.
Lj diff and reverse lights.
WA FB~EK Car Club Member.