lowered

Includes shock absorbers, springs and steering linkages.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Aussy Edo
State: QLD

lowered

Post by Aussy Edo »

Hi All,
i am chasin some info on how to drop my EK by about 2 inches,any info would be appreciated,its currently at the stock height i think.i wouldnt mind chasin up some 15 inch rims as well
EDO 8)
One Day Hopefully!!
FB MAD
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by FB MAD »

Most blokes go the heavy duty lowered spring way for the front and lowering blocks or reset springs at the rear.

Are you talking of lowering a kingpin front or HR front end??

If you are running a HR front end you can go for lowered stub axles which is the best and safest way to go if you can afford the cost of the initial outlay for the lowered stub axles.

Can't answer the 15 inch rim question but I'm sure someone will help out with that one.
I can't think what to write here so this will do.
DNA

Post by DNA »

i think unless you get volvo rims you wont get 15's on the EK stubs......

change to HQ stubs and you have a heap of different rims available and can be dropped even more.
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

Volvo's are the way to go, but I'd get rims first then lower the car. It'll highlight any potential clearance issues. And as the others have said for lowering, buy springs and blocks or reset the rear springs instead of blocks.
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
karsten

Post by karsten »

i used kings springs
when they start building them like that again i will buy a new car of them
basic.green

Post by basic.green »

Hi i am thinking of buying lowered front springs (HR front) 2 inches but it might not be low enough. has any one done this and cut the springs to get it down a little more. how much do i cut 1/2 or one coil :twisted:
building the dream Rick
Trev

Post by Trev »

I used Pedders heavy duty lowered front springs and cut 1 coil off, if I had lower profile tyres (not 75's) I would cut 1.5 off, Trev 8) .
[img]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f177/trevwood/WOOFTOsmall.jpg[/img]
Woofto Car Club Member No3
basic.green

Post by basic.green »

Thanks Trev 8) i will have 15x165 65 on the front 4inch rims so 1 coil sounds the go
building the dream Rick
Trev

Post by Trev »

Mine are 195/75/14's
FB MAD

Post by FB MAD »

If you are buying heavy duty lowered springs and want to lower it further I would take a half cut first and see how it goes.I know its time consuming taking smaller cuts and fitting/checking but if you take off too much,you can't put it back on,you'll have to get another set of springs and start again, as I had to do on a car years and years ago when I cut too much off a brand new set of lowered springs in my HQ Monaro :oops: :oops: :oops: .

Don't cut with oxy/acetylene either,cut with an angle grinder.

Oxy/acetylene and excess heat can cause embrittlement in the area of the cut and the spring can break or bend in that area over time.

There again,if you buy the exact brand springs and rim/tyre combo that Trev has and follow Trevs advice with that combo then I 'spose that saves some time with following the procedure I described.
Trev

Post by Trev »

What I found with the heavy duty spring is the car only dropped the same amount as what was cut off, in my case about 1.5 inches, Trev 8) .
Aussy Edo
State: QLD

Post by Aussy Edo »

Thanks for the heads up boys,
i forgot to say it is a king pin front end,so lowered springs are the way to go.is there a year range for the volvo rims to fit the ek, for eg 1980-1990 models or any thing like that i need to worry about,there is a volvo wreckers on my way home from work i might sus out.Karsten,you reckon king springs are the way to go mate?,had any dramas?.i will get the rwc for the ek before i go messin around but atleast ime headin in the right direction thanx again people. 8)
One Day Hopefully!!
karsten

Post by karsten »

yeah mate i got em and i wouldnt say it couldnt go lower but i like the hight and it dont ride like a pig,,, i havent ridden in trevs so his advice i cant comment on ,,,,,, but whatever trev reckons would be right mate so i guess its somthing you want to think how you like the hight side to be ,,, but there in my drum front and it does inprove the dynamics of body roll and looking at the sky,,, my ute is lots lower and it has hr front ,, and it rides very nice as good as the sedan ,, and low does look trick,, depends on the rim size to
when they start building them like that again i will buy a new car of them
FB MAD

Post by FB MAD »

I'm running kingpin front end and fitted a pair of old Selby heavy duty lowered springs that Brown Bear gave me.

I cut an additional full coil off the end as well.

It lowered it 3 inches from standard but the suspension was then riding on the bump rubbers so I then had to shorten the bump rubbers and try and shape them in the original cone shape to maintain some progressive bump.Gained about an inch of suspension travel by shortening the bump rubbers.

In hindsight I wish I'd only cut half an additional coil and gained some additional suspension travel as its fine on smooth roads but shakes the shit out of the car when you hit a pothole.

Ride height looks good though even with the piddly standard 13 inch wheels I'm using ATM.
Trev

Post by Trev »

FB MAD wrote:I'm running kingpin front end and fitted a pair of old Selby heavy duty lowered springs that Brown Bear gave me.

I cut an additional full coil off the end as well.

In hindsight I wish I'd only cut half an additional coil and gained some additional suspension travel as its fine on smooth roads but shakes the shit out of the car when you hit a pothole.

Ride height looks good though even with the piddly standard 13 inch wheels I'm using ATM.
Terry, I recon the ride height on yours looks perfect, I wouldn't change a thing (even the wheels)!
Hows the old piece of shit (as your son calls it :lol: ) going anyway? Trev 8) .