Rear spring hanger position

Includes shock absorbers, springs and steering linkages.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Errol62
State: SA

Re: Rear spring hanger position

Post by Errol62 »

You are an ideas man Blacky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

I must say that it is surprising that an apparently engineered conversion would have those springs with inverted shackles.

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
eKay
State: NSW

Post by eKay »

Errol62 wrote:I must say that it is surprising that an apparently engineered conversion would have those springs with inverted shackles.

Unfortunately, this car has been through a bit of a saga having been stolen by a workshop, I vented ages ago about it in a post, its just blah blah in the past now. So I dont know if these springs were part of the original engineering or swapped out in the saga. But reading through the engineers certificate, they may not have picked it up as they really concentrated on subframe support, floors and all those other "bigger" tickets. Would an engineer necassarilly know where the shackles should exactly be.... Anyway, it is what it is...
eKay

Post by eKay »

Blacky wrote:Mate i would get underneath it and remove the U bolts from one side , jack the diff up and see if it is sitting centrally on the centre bolt. The previous owner/installer of this diff and springs may have just drilled a hole 1"offset in the lowering block - a simple way to move the diff forward or backward as the case may be. You may find you can replace with stock springs and simply bolt it all straight back together and if you cant - just drill the hole offset yourself 8) Mark with a plumb bob or a 600mm square onto the floor where your wheels are now then swap the springs and get them in the same spot = no tailshaft mods required :D :D :D
Cheers man,

Thats a good starting point for me.. I appreciate the info..
fingers
State: VIC

Post by fingers »

Did you work out they are more than likely EH to HR springs ....I had the same problem some time back , got standard springs which are an inch or two shorter and all sorted .....Fingers :shock:
Don’t you find it Funny that after Monday(M) and Tuesday(T), the rest of the week says WTF?
eKay

Post by eKay »

fingers wrote:Did you work out they are more than likely EH to HR springs ....I had the same problem some time back , got standard springs which are an inch or two shorter and all sorted .....Fingers :shock:
Yeah, that's the conclusion with the longer springs. How did that work out for you in regards to rear wheel position and tailshaft length as mentioned in the previous posts, any issues?
Cheers
fingers
State: VIC

Post by fingers »

No issues mate the standard springs just dropped straight in .......
Don’t you find it Funny that after Monday(M) and Tuesday(T), the rest of the week says WTF?
eKay

Post by eKay »

fingers wrote:No issues mate the standard springs just dropped straight in .......
Cheers for that, thats good to know. Im guessing the arc is what keeps both sets at same centre position! Anyway, I'll start with what Blacky mentioned and then if need be, I'll look for some springs. I see King Springs are no longrr available for the rear, hopefully they are not going to be like Hens Teeth!
:thumbsup:
Harv

Post by Harv »

eKay wrote:
fingers wrote:No issues mate the standard springs just dropped straight in .......
Cheers for that, thats good to know. Im guessing the arc is what keeps both sets at same centre position! Anyway, I'll start with what Blacky mentioned and then if need be, I'll look for some springs. I see King Springs are no longrr available for the rear, hopefully they are not going to be like Hens Teeth!
:thumbsup:
G'day eKay,

If you get stuck for springs, give me a yell. I've got a pair of bog stock EK sedan springs (in Sydney) that you would be welcome to for the cost of postage. They came from an EK that was near Tamworth, NSW and had been parked in a paddock for years. The car had a bad dose of white-ants (most of the floor and the rear quarters), so we scrapped it. The springs have got light surface rust, but should clean up OK. I can double check the measurements on them for you when I get home next week if it helps.

They will be too long for Aussie Post, but can readily send them via e-Go.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
eKay

Post by eKay »

G'day eKay,

If you get stuck for springs, give me a yell. I've got a pair of bog stock EK sedan springs (in Sydney) that you would be welcome to for the cost of postage. They came from an EK that was near Tamworth, NSW and had been parked in a paddock for years. The car had a bad dose of white-ants (most of the floor and the rear quarters), so we scrapped it. The springs have got light surface rust, but should clean up OK. I can double check the measurements on them for you when I get home next week if it helps.

They will be too long for Aussie Post, but can readily send them via e-Go.

Cheers,
Harv
Hi Harv,

Mate that would be awesome and is very generous of you. When you return home, please let me know and we'll work out how to transport them. Thanks heaps..
Harv

Post by Harv »

PM sent.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.