Helper spring installed correct?

Includes shock absorbers, springs and steering linkages.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

brian@cadsense.co.nz
State: INT

Helper spring installed correct?

Post by brian@cadsense.co.nz »

Hi Guys,

I Hace just bought a 1959 FC Holden here in NZ. Took it for its first WOF today and they said I need tro align the "Helper" leaf spring better. Im no expert at this stuff, but when I look at it the "helper" spring really does not look like its in the right place at all? Is anyone able to tell from this picture?

Advice?

It does seem quite saggy in the rear end, and quite "soft"

Thanks in advance for help on my first post!

Brian
Attachments
2016-04-14 20.32.03.jpg
2016-04-14 20.32.03.jpg (76.89 KiB) Viewed 785 times
brian@cadsense.co.nz
State: INT

Re: Helper spring installed correct?

Post by brian@cadsense.co.nz »

sorry pic is upside down. Not sure why...
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Welcome to the forum mate :wave: that's a funny looking setup , I don't think I have seen one like that before ?
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
bat53retro
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by bat53retro »

pretty sure the spring goes under the stanard springs
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Hi Brian,
have you thought about just removing the helper spring set up and seeing how she drives then? Helper springs have always been a compromise option. You shouldn't need it unless you are carrying a lot of weight in the rear. If the original springs are soft/saggy better by far to source replacement items. I fitted a set of ute/van springs to my EK sedan when I used to use it for work, carrying loads in the boot. They often sag more on the drivers side over the years and a good back yard solution seems to be to mix and match the individual leaves to even things up or even try and source two passenger side springs. FE to EK sedan, wagon and commercial will all bolt up.

Have fun with it. Playing around and getting a solution is half the joy with these old girls.

Cheers,
Clay
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie