Help Identifying Front End

Includes shock absorbers, springs and steering linkages.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Bawag
State: QLD

Help Identifying Front End

Post by Bawag »

Hi People!

I have just spoken to an engineer for my new project and he has asked me what front end is in the car and being the first Holden i have owned..... i have no idea haha

So hoping someone can shed some light on what i have here i.e. steering rack, cross member and brakes.
If you need more photos let me know

Cheers Ben

Errol62
State: SA

Re: Help Identifying Front End

Post by Errol62 »

Looks a bit like early Hadfield modified HR x member with stock HR control arms to me. Based on front mounted steering and reversed calipers. Don't know about the stub axles and rack.
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

If it's Hadfields (CRS), it must be early. The latter CRS front-mounted rack uses the LH/UC Torana rack, mounted low without notching the front crossmember outrigger like Ben's. The Torana rack then uses a custom intermediate shaft (made from bright stock round bar) that lies in a groove belted into the crossmember top face (Ben's doesn't have the groove). CRS add brackets to the crossmember to bolt up the rack - I could be misreading the photos, but it looks like Ben's rack is held in with U-bolts. CRS also add steel rod along the leading and trailing edges of the control arms, which are missing from Bens.

Looks like the standard solid HR disks have been swapped out for ventilated rotors.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Have seen the early ones with the outrigger notched and ubolts but agree on the lack of control arm reinforcing.
EK van on rotisserie
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

looks like a home made job to me - the 90 degree box appears to be out of a forward control van - Mitsi Express or something along those lines - with what appears to be a stock length Commodore rack - be interesting to see the rack without the concertina boots on it - it looks too long ??

And welcome to the forum mate :thumbsup: looks like another FB/EK parked next to yours ????
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Mick

Post by Mick »

as far as i know the hadfield fronts have always notched the outrigger with a bolt in plate to the underside, it definitely is NOT a hadfield front though unless it was done by Fred Hadfield (no relation to Rod :ewink: :lol: )
i'm with blacky just a home done HR front end conversion, rack is anybodies guess might belong to a van as with Blacky's sujestion of the 90 degree box
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
Harv

Post by Harv »

Mick wrote:as far as i know the hadfield fronts have always notched the outrigger with a bolt in plate to the underside, it definitely is NOT a hadfield front though unless it was done by Fred Hadfield (no relation to Rod :ewink: :lol: )
You're right Mick... I shouldn't have used the word "notched". What I meant was that Hadfields normally grind out the crossmember, and then fit the cover plate without reinforcing. The drawing below comes with their kits and shows this. Ben's has been ground out and reinforced (which is what I meant by "notched"... poor choice of word by me). The drawing shows the Hadfield mounting gusset/rack bracket (instead of Ben's U-bolts) too.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Doesn't have the hexagonal tie rod adapters either as the early ones I have seen. But you were able to buy bare cross members.
EK van on rotisserie
oz_ek
State: VIC

Post by oz_ek »

Interesting looking steering relay box!...Also noticed there isn't much clearance between the sump and outrigger. :eh:
Bawag

Post by Bawag »

Cheers guys it has me stumped as well. I am thinking about pulling it out and redoing it as the welds are from a seagull. It also needs something better for the steering arm as it has been spaced out with washers. I also have to look into the wheels as the rack end is about 2mm from the rim and the upper control arm is about the same. Any ideas

Cheers for all the help

And yep Blacky I have another one in pink haha
Harv

Post by Harv »

Bawag wrote:It also needs something better for the steering arm as it has been spaced out with washers. I also have to look into the wheels as the rack end is about 2mm from the rim and the upper control arm is about the same. Any ideas
Getting the steering to fit without clashing depends a bit on exactly what components are there. I went through similar dramas with a CRS front end and Commodore components. Some solutions here:
http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtop ... re+15+harv

Cheers,
Harv
Craig Allardyce

Post by Craig Allardyce »

Check your toe out on turns and I bet its the wrong way around.
Bawag

Post by Bawag »

Yeah Craig I've jacked it up and the wheels are like this \ /
Craig Allardyce

Post by Craig Allardyce »

Is that camber or toe out? Check toe out at full lock. Inside wheel should turn tighter if correct.
Bawag

Post by Bawag »

That's toe