HG steering Box

Includes shock absorbers, springs and steering linkages.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

kel3629
State: VIC

HG steering Box

Post by kel3629 »

Hi All

Has anyone used a HG steering column & steering box connected to a HR disc brake front end using the original drag link steering.
It appears that the pitman arm is a different shape. Is there a work around or do I go to the rack option. If so what is the best rack to use.

Thanks
Kel
Blacky
State: WA

Re: HG steering Box

Post by Blacky »

What motor you planning to run ? A rear mounted Commondore rack is a pretty popular swap
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
kel3629

Post by kel3629 »

It will have a 202 Blacky
Mick
State: NSW

Post by Mick »

:roll:
Last edited by Mick on Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

So you want to use a HG column because its collapsible ??? It sounds like they will fit , might be easiest to fit the column and the front end then see which pitman arm matches up ????
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Don't forget the idler arm assembly. It will need to be matched to the pitman arm. But then o recon the HR should be correct geometry. The shaft diameter and spline count is another matter but.
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Mick

Post by Mick »

Last edited by Mick on Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Yes but what about HG??
EK van on rotisserie
Mick

Post by Mick »

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Talking to a bloke today has HG box in his FB wagon. Had EK wheel. Not sure about the column. HR pitman arm and drag link.

He said the HG box is 20:1 ratio vs FB 16:1. Giving lighter steering. A good option when running wider tyres up front I would think.

Another mod he had was bracing the top of the steering box to the subframe wall. I have noticed that the box moves when the wheel is loaded up. Bloke reckons it tightens up the handling significantly.
EK van on rotisserie
kel3629

Post by kel3629 »

He didn't say how he connected the pitman arm to the steering box did he Errol62? As you said previously they are different sizes and spline
Kel
Errol62

HG steering Box

Post by Errol62 »

No we didn't get that far as I had to go surfing. I didn't say they were different sizes just that they may be. Can you confirm they are different? Looked like a bolt up fit and GMH generally changed as little as possible in my experience.

I will be seeing him again in a week or two as he has a radio I'm interested in. Hope to get more info about the conversion then. Surely someone on the forum has done this??
EK van on rotisserie
kel3629

Post by kel3629 »

yep they are completely different. The HG is a different shaft size and the pitman arm is a different shape.
Errol62

HG steering Box

Post by Errol62 »

Hey Kel
Spoke to the dude again today. He reckons it was given to him as a bolt in fit and made the steering considerably lighter as he runs 205s on the front. He is running FB honeypot and wheel. Somehow I wonder if o am not getting the full story here and he doesn't really know what he has been given.

He said to talk to a local modifier business here at Lonsdale which I intend to follow up in the next few weeks. Will keep you posted.

Cheers
Clay
EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Hey Kel
Today I spoke with the guy old mate referred me to at Lonsdale. He set up the steering and suspension in mates car. It is a completely stock FB EK box to HR pitman arm drag link tie rods and drum brake balljoint front end. Old mate doesn't seem to know what he is driving.

This guy I spoke to today has a lot of experience restoring customising and modifying 48 - EH cars and has never heard of a HKTG box in 48-HR. Recoed worm gears were available for EH at one stage and these boxes will bolt up but the columns are different. Power steering was an option from EH on I believe do may be worth exploring but the popular option seems to be rack and pinion essential with v6 etc.

Sorry but the HKTG conversion seems to have been a case of Chinese whispers.

Cheers
Clay
EK van on rotisserie