HG steering Box

Includes shock absorbers, springs and steering linkages.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

kel3629
State: VIC

Re: HG steering Box

Post by kel3629 »

Thanks for all the effort you went to Clay. Much appreciated
Regards
Kel
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

It's all research for my own benefit but good to share. I will be sticking with the standard steering column and box with straight six. Will also brace the top of the box back to the inner guard as per old mates setup. That way I can easily retain stock look with hydramatic column shift using HJ Trimatic shift gate and neutral safety/reverse light switch.

All the best with your project mate.
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Some more info on the HKTG steering conversion. See: 253 into ek
http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22044

Think I will try and source HKTG box and column and have a play around.
EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Here is some information on steering ratios. Apologies if this is posted elsewhere.

The HKTG boxes came in 20:1 & 16.7:1 (Monaro, power steering and wagons?).

48 to EH are 14:1.

HD HR are 16.8:1.

The last two are according to my Gregory's manual which also states the turning circle at 36". Think that should be 36'.
EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

On the subject of steering boxes. I see Rare Spares offer a recon change over. Has anyone used these? The biggest issue I have found with original steering is that the worm shaft wears in the centre position. I am wondering if the worm shafts are overhauled in the rsp change overs or just bearings and seals. If so they could possibly be worth the $600 odd asking price.
EK van on rotisserie
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

Errol62 wrote:On the subject of steering boxes. I see Rare Spares offer a recon change over. Has anyone used these? The biggest issue I have found with original steering is that the worm shaft wears in the centre position. I am wondering if the worm shafts are overhauled in the rsp change overs or just bearings and seals. If so they could possibly be worth the $600 odd asking price.
I'd be interested in the answer to that one too. The Rares steering box kit (~$100) doesn't include the worm shafts:
http://www.rarespares.net.au/rarespares ... duct=SBFEK
The rest of their kit works OK.

If they had a secret stash/supplier of worms, it would be cool to include them in the kit for some extra cost over the $95.

I'll flick Les a PM and see if we get a response.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Good on you Harv although the worm shafts would have to be a couple of hundred bickies.
EK van on rotisserie
Les
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by Les »

Harv wrote:
Errol62 wrote:On the subject of steering boxes. I see Rare Spares offer a recon change over. Has anyone used these? The biggest issue I have found with original steering is that the worm shaft wears in the centre position. I am wondering if the worm shafts are overhauled in the rsp change overs or just bearings and seals. If so they could possibly be worth the $600 odd asking price.
I'd be interested in the answer to that one too. The Rares steering box kit (~$100) doesn't include the worm shafts:
http://www.rarespares.net.au/rarespares ... duct=SBFEK
The rest of their kit works OK.

If they had a secret stash/supplier of worms, it would be cool to include them in the kit for some extra cost over the $95.

I'll flick Les a PM and see if we get a response.

Cheers,
Harv
Sorry or the late response ,a better way to contact me is lmcveigh@rsp.net.au.
The steering boxes have all new parts in them including worm and nut as well as the sector and bearings bushes. Only the housing is second hand ,I hope this helps.
Les
If you have any part enquiries or problems that cannot be solved by going to http://www.rarespares.net.au please contact me at lmcveigh@rarespares.net.au
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Finally got my hands on an HKTG steering box to play with. The lugs don't quite line up with FB subframe. Number one myth busted. Not hard to rectify, but not bolt on that is for sure.ImageImage

FB ute driver, EK van project

EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Second issue is the Pitman arm. HG output spline shaft is slightly thicker. Arm is same length but different offset. Modification required, probably machine out the HR arm slightly would do it.Image

EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

It may be worth pursuing this modification if it could slow the use of HKTG or Torana collapsible column with all syncro shift mechanism. Just to get the ratio change I wouldn't bother, rather would look in to using HR steering box.

EK van on rotisserie
ardiesse
State: NSW

Post by ardiesse »

I've seen a few FB/EKs with EH-HR steering columns, so I suspect that the later column (two bolts only) is a drop-in replacement for the FB/EK one.

But a KTG steering box? One of the guys in the FE-FC club has a KTG steering box in his FC; but there was no doubt some serious engineering work. You would have to install the KTG box so that the worm shaft is exactly on the same line as original, and then choose pitman arm to suit (and a Humpy pitman arm, suitably modified, is a third choice).

Rob
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Interesting that Les (R.I.P. :cry: ) confirmed that RS would replace the worm drive in a steering box if sent to them for refurb - wonder if that is still the case ????
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Yes Rob they are bolt in up to HR.

Blacky I'm pretty sure Roger Hancock supplies Rares reco boxes and they have new worm gears.

EK van on rotisserie
FJWALLY
State: VIC

Post by FJWALLY »

Just send it direct to Roger - he has the kits and does the work anyway so might as well go direct
Blacky wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:07 pm Interesting that Les (R.I.P. :cry: ) confirmed that RS would replace the worm drive in a steering box if sent to them for refurb - wonder if that is still the case ????
You will find me lost somewhere!