Front and rear shackle replacement

Includes shock absorbers, springs and steering linkages.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

James
State: NOT ENTERED

Front and rear shackle replacement

Post by James »

I have purchased new front and rear shackle kits for the EK from rare spares, what is the easiest way to change them , is there a sequence to follow, I have read the rear shackle how to and that seems straight forward, front pin replacement discussions on here seem a little more hit and miss. I have never done this before.cheers
James

Re: Front and rear shackle replacement

Post by James »

Just to clarify. Should I do the front first ? back first ? or easier to undo both and replace ? Any advice would be great.
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Usually the hardest part is getting the front pins out - especially if they havent been out since the day the car was built. An oxy set is a very useful tool if this is the case. Rosco wrote a bit of a Rosconovel on how to install a set of rear bushes not so long ago , and he detailed what needs trimming, shimming, etc very comprehensively. A quick search on the forum should find it .
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
James

Post by James »

Thanks Blacky, the front pins are my main concern. I guess I will find out soon enough. :eh:
parisian62
State: NSW

Post by parisian62 »

I removed both front and back at the same time. My memory is a bit hazy but I think refitted up the front first and then the back. What Blacky said about getting them out. I had to use a cold chisel and big hammer to give them a belt.
Last edited by parisian62 on Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feelin free in a '61 FB.
Member of FB-EK Holden Car Club Of NSW Inc.
Check out the Rebuild of Old Timer
James

Post by James »

Ah, that's what I was after. I wasn't sure if it was easier to remove both front and back and reinstall, or do the front then back etc. cheers :thumbsup: