ek steering with hr front end

Includes shock absorbers, springs and steering linkages.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

my 62 sedan
State: NOT ENTERED

ek steering with hr front end

Post by my 62 sedan »

Hi my question is. if I fit a HR front end can I use the original ek steering box. Engine will be a Holden 202. I have spoken to a engineer and he wants me to use a collapsible column. Hope this makes sense.
Harv
State: NSW

Re: ek steering with hr front end

Post by Harv »

G'day 62 sedan,

Yes, you can use the original steering box with a HR front end. There are lots of combinations though of all the bits downstream of the rack (tie rods, steering arms, brakes and wheels), and not everything will work together. The best advice I can give you is to step back, choose the type of wheels and brakes you are after, and then work your way backwards. Most combinations (eg Commodore wheels and HR front end, torana wheels and brakes etc) have been done before, so search the forum for details on how different people have done it... then ask questions :D .

Similar story with the collapsible column... lots of ways to do it (Torana, Commodore etc) though each comes with complications (some need a rack installed which means modifying the cross member, some are getting harder to find in wreckers, some will change the splines on the steering column so you can't use the original steering wheel etc). One option is to get a column from Alien Retro (https://www.facebook.com/#!/alienretrocolumns). They do collapsible columns for FB/EK, and I understand that they bolt up to the original steering box. They are not cheap, but the quality appears good and it saves a lot of mucking around (especially if you can't weld).

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
my 62 sedan
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by my 62 sedan »

Hi Harv
I was going to fit a hr drum brake front end, As I have hq stub axles I was going to fit them. A modified vn diff changed to hq stud pattern. 15 inch wheels.
ekstevo
State: VIC

Post by ekstevo »

How does yours steer my old man wanted to use the original box I found a reco box put it in, with 6 inch tyres there's no way I'm going to be driving it as it is hopefully I get back onto the ek by the end of the year so starting to think about having another go at the member
Mick
State: NSW

Post by Mick »

i don't think it is possable to use the original EK steering box with a collapsable collum as the steering box is part of the collum (i spose it could be done but i think the amount of work involved would be great)
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter