Rear leaf Front Bush replacement

Includes shock absorbers, springs and steering linkages.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

baker12
State: NOT ENTERED

Rear leaf Front Bush replacement

Post by baker12 »

Have finished painting my car and want to put the leaf springs on before i drop off the rotisserie.
Thought this would be easy to do as when I pulled the diff and springs out they just fell out like a chalky tooth in an old wino!
Any way getting them back in is like trying to get a square peg to go in a round hole, I have replaced the pins with new ones and am using nolothane bushes.
I have tried using a FBH (F$%K1NG Big Hammer) to negotiate but to no avail what can anyone tell me about this???
Harv
State: NSW

Re: Rear leaf Front Bush replacement

Post by Harv »

Did mine not so long ago:
a) new pins (the old ones are often badly corroded... and need the gas axe to cook the rubber out to free up the pin).
b) Front eyes first, then rear eyes (using a block of wood).
c) Front eyes need a BFH, and a pinch bar, and some swearing. Definite two man job. Mongrel to line up. Lube up with some rubber grease, get the thread through, then pull the rest of the pin through with the nut.

Cheers,
Harv.
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
baker12

Post by baker12 »

Thanks Harv,
The new ones that I have got have a spring washer on them.
Problem is where the large head end of the pin slots into the 20mm 25mm hole.
The bush wont allow the pin to fully engage the hole and i am stuffed to work out how to compress the bush to gain enough clearance to get the nut to bite.
Has stopped me dead in my tracks and I am now about 3 days behind where I wanted to be.
Tried getting the bolt back out but the nolothane bush has locked the bolt in like a vice.
Trev

Post by Trev »

[img]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f177/trevwood/WOOFTOsmall.jpg[/img]
Woofto Car Club Member No3
Harv

Post by Harv »

Trev's right - the rubber bushes are a lot easier (and even then are a pain to get in :( ). If the urethane bushes have locked in solid, you may have to drop the spring out and press them out. Another option common in GMH service departments was to cautiously gas axe them out (heat enough that they soften then thump them out... preying you don't overcook the new pin or spring eye).

B.W. Harrod's range of tools normally only apply to the rear shackle, for the front shackle the kit is complemented by the addition of a BFH and pinchbar. One person operates the pinchbar, the other sights the new shackle bush for alignment.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
parisian62

Post by parisian62 »

Not sure if this is the same problem but when I refitted my rear springs I used had trouble lining up the new pins as they didn't exactly match the originals.

See here http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtop ... 4&p=148788

Stewart
Feelin free in a '61 FB.
Member of FB-EK Holden Car Club Of NSW Inc.
Check out the Rebuild of Old Timer
baker12

Post by baker12 »

Thanks guys giving it one last go tonight sweated on it all night and think I have found a way bout to to hit the factory floor and see how i go let you know later.
baker12

Post by baker12 »

Stewart thanks for the heads up I went downstairs after reading your post and punched the front pins out.
Then when I tried the dry fit with no bushes low and behold the threaded end would not go through the old ones fitted but the repros from rare spares elnoho mefitto!
Drilled out the Hole by 1/2 MM and guess what it was like a proverbial C":K in a sock!!
Took a bit of persuasion with the rubber mallet but eventually got there.
So my Springs are in diff is mounted rear wheels on and the back end is off the rotiseerie yea ha!!!!!!
Back to my MI60FB posts to update with photos.
Thanks to all that responded I love this forum its like lifeline but for FBEKOWNERS!
baker12

Post by baker12 »

Trev wrote:Go back to rubber.
And check out http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtop ... 24&t=15983
Trev
Not the bushes but the aftermarket parts namely the pins that were the drama.
Rare spares owe me 3days of headaches!
parisian62

Post by parisian62 »

this forum its like lifeline but for FBEKOWNERS!
Well said Baker...couldn't agree more :thumbsup:
Feelin free in a '61 FB.
Member of FB-EK Holden Car Club Of NSW Inc.
Check out the Rebuild of Old Timer
Brian Westlake

Post by Brian Westlake »

I did front shackle rubbers on Fi's EK the other day and I had trouble getting the "Big Screw End" of the new shackle pin bad into the hole in the body. repeated flogging with a big hammer started to bend the mounting of the shackle in at a slight angle, which made it harder still to knock in the more it bent because of the tight fit. I knocked the pin out again and bent the mounting back,which mostly rectified this. I am having Fi's springs reset a little lower after we come back from Wangaratta, so I can have another look then.
Tony WrecksWhatHeTouches
Trev

Post by Trev »

baker12 wrote:
Trev wrote:Go back to rubber.
And check out http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtop ... 24&t=15983
Trev
Not the bushes but the aftermarket parts namely the pins that were the drama.
Rare spares owe me 3days of headaches!
Good news :thumbsup:
Maybe Rares should stock panadol in their stores :lol:
[img]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f177/trevwood/WOOFTOsmall.jpg[/img]
Woofto Car Club Member No3
Harv

Post by Harv »

Baker12,

Have you still got the original pins (probably pitted to buggery)? If so, it may be worth the time to PM Les on this forum, and mail them to him. I've found Les to be very responsive to sorting out quality issues, especially if you can demonstrate the repro and old part are not the same.

Cheers,
Harv
mr bean

Post by mr bean »

I fitted a set of pedders rubbers to the ek, I could not screw the eye bolt in flush. Had to pull apart again and trim the steel sleeve about 4mm, than all good.
Mick

Post by Mick »

I must be lucky I've never replaced the pins never had a set that were even close to badly pitted :? pretty sure I have spares at home even, i'll be keeping them though :wink:
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter