How much to lower a ute?

Includes shock absorbers, springs and steering linkages.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

skin_dog
State: NOT ENTERED

How much to lower a ute?

Post by skin_dog »

Hey all, and specifically the ute owners out there..

Just wondering how much people have lowered their utes by and how they did it? Mine appears to have not been touched at all (if anything looks like its been lifted!) and has 13's with 175/70 on the front and 175/75 on the rear. I'm quite happy to go the block and chop method but just want to know how it will look with what size blocks so any pics would also be very helpful.
Thanks, Ryan
Devilrod
State: VIC

Re: How much to lower a ute?

Post by Devilrod »

The lower the better!! :twisted: :twisted:

My old ute ran 2 inch blocks and 235/14/50's

But knowing what I know now, I'd flip the short leaf as well.

Some photoshops of kingaz
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
skin_dog

Post by skin_dog »

I agree DR, love the sticker on the ute by the way.
The first of the photoshop pics is what i'm after. How much lowering you think that look would require? That being said i think i'd also like to keep it legal, which is what 100mm at the lowest part of the car?
Devilrod

Post by Devilrod »

Yeah the sticker was because all the guys in the club I was in called it an old mans car cause it looked fairly stock, sure didn't go like an old mans car though... :twisted: :twisted:

Legal height as I understand it is 2/3rd suspenion travel or 100mm minimum ground clearance maintaing the 2/3rds.

So realistacly get the rear spring either reset 2 inchs then add blocks to get it down (this gives an easy fix should Mr plod think its too low) and shorten the bumpstops. Front not so easy but lowered springs of at least 2 inches is a good start.

As for the photoshop I dont think any of them are legal :shock: but they look good 8) :lol: :lol: :lol:
skin_dog

Post by skin_dog »

Thanks for the help DR. Any idea where in our area i can get the leafs reset and for how much? Or could i get a decent drop just with blocks and flipping the bottom leaf?
Devilrod

Post by Devilrod »

Cheap way leaf flip. I've done the blocks and leaf flip, you get a decent drop so much so I've had to add a leaf. Ute should be fine as they have more leaves. But cut down your bumps stops.
As for getting it done, there are a couple of places to go Beta Springs (not sure if they are still around) Dandenong, Oakleigh Springworks (a mate used these guys and they were pretty good) and there is a place in Kananook somewhere but can't remember exactly where. I think not too far from the station... Not great help but a start.
skin_dog

Post by skin_dog »

No that's a great help, thanks. I can't wait to get it down, it looks ridiculously high right now.
skin_dog

Post by skin_dog »

Hey DR, just been looking more into the lowering and sussing some things out which brought me back to looking at that photo of your old ute..
Just wondering, if that's how yours sat with 2" blocks, how much lower would it have been had you of flipped the leaf as well?
Devilrod

Post by Devilrod »

This is how my sedan sat prior to the additional leaf going in.... I think an inch and a half block though.

It sits half inch higher now.
skin_dog

Post by skin_dog »

That looks awesome!! I want it like that! :lol:
No, like you said, gotta keep Mr Plod off my arse.
Thing is though, and i'm just assuming, wouldn't the utes sit higher than the sedans? From the factory i mean. And i think i read somewhere that utes have 6 leaves, spose i could just go outside and look, nah too cold.
But what i'm getting at is that maybe i wouldn't get the same result with my ute as you did with your sedan...like i said though, i'm just assuming...
Trev

Post by Trev »

UTEK wrote: utes have 6 leaves, spose i could just go outside and look, nah too cold.
But what i'm getting at is that maybe i wouldn't get the same result with my ute as you did with your sedan...like i said though, i'm just assuming...
When you pull apart you springs you could always leave out one (so there is 5) to bring it down a bit more :idea: .
[img]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f177/trevwood/WOOFTOsmall.jpg[/img]
Woofto Car Club Member No3
skin_dog

Post by skin_dog »

Genius, Trev! Why didn't i think of that?
I'm guessing if you were to remove one you would start with the shortest one?
Devilrod

Post by Devilrod »

Nup, shortest one is the one best used for the flip. Maybe the second one up.
skin_dog

Post by skin_dog »

Ok so flip the first and lose the second. But the thing i can't get my head around is how flipping a leaf will lower it more. Isn't there going to be the same amount of space in the leaf pack no matter what order they are in?
On another note, i called Pedders about getting them reset 2", if i take them out and mark them left/right etc. it'll cost $264.
And another note again, DR, that place you mentioned near Kananook station- was it called Hendersons?
Devilrod

Post by Devilrod »

UTEK wrote:But the thing i can't get my head around is how flipping a leaf will lower it more. Isn't there going to be the same amount of space in the leaf pack no matter what order they are in?
Not when you have them so they are curving away from each other :wink: You'll need some good clamps though.
UTEK wrote:And another note again, DR, that place you mentioned near Kananook station- was it called Hendersons?
Could be sounds vaguely familiar.