Door Rubbers

Includes sheet metal, rubbers, bumpers, badges and rust repairs.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Utey
State: NOT ENTERED

Door Rubbers

Post by Utey »

I'm about to fit some new rubbers (rare spares) How or what do i use to fill the void at the top 90 degree corner?
Any ideas

Nick
pb

Post by pb »

rare spare kit should have triangular pieces of foam rubber, also get can of rubber magic it help rubber slide into place when you close door
thecollector

Is there an easy out?

Post by thecollector »

Hi,
I know this is an old post but I'm hopin somebody out there is still reading it.
I ended up getting my front door seals from rare spares. It says in the instructions that the door must be removed for the rubbers to be instaled corectly. :shock: Call me chicken but I really want to avoid doing that :roll:
pb wrote:rare spare kit should have triangular pieces of foam rubber, also get can of rubber magic it help rubber slide into place when you close door
Well I got my rubber magic but my kits never had any triangular pieces of foam rubber...
I have tried to put the rubbers in without removing the door but it seems like the only way? Plus the moulded corners, do the actually go in both corners, or just the one near the centre piller?
Any help would be an awesome help
Thanks in Advance
stew
petrolhead

Post by petrolhead »

Door rubbers what a pain in the ass! The front doors have to come off,bummer. I didn't use the expensive Rare Spares door seals,baily channel,anti-rattle strips or boot seals. I found a much cheaper option. I took my samples to a company called Universal Engineers(formally Adlam Enterprises) matched up some seals that were very close to origional and paid 1/2 the price.Sometimes it's worth the run around.
Regards
Petrolhead
rosco
State: VIC

door rubbers

Post by rosco »

Hi Stew,
I fitted Rares rubbers to my l/hs doors whilst I had them off doing the refurb job to the inners and apertures (r/hs yet to be done) and found the fitting fairly straight forward - however..........(I think it goes without saying that the lower section has cut-outs front and rear for the door drain ports to vent water outside the vehicle).
Positioning those roughly and working back before any cemeting in place, I left a small over-lap for final cutting at the right angled corner when the return run came back to the start.
If you get that small bottle of the loctite they suggest and clean up the channel where the rubber fits into along with cleaning the rubber itself, I found it worked fine just following their instructions.
I started from the top cementing every two inches or so and worked my way along the channel applying firm pressure to make the bond.
I did not stretch nor bunch the rubber as I moved along but allowed it to "find" its own tension naturally and not cutting the last piece until it overlapped the starting point.
Cutting through both at 45 degrees whilst they over-lapped (and a smidge more for error) seemed to finish the task without a noticeable gap.
I was of the opinion then that the rubbers would settle in but .......
it is nearly four years since I did the job and the blasted things still need a good biff to fully close occasionally.
It seems that if a door is left open for some time, they seem to swell out again.
I know some people in our club had Rares fit them and they don't seem to have the issues the rest of us do.
As to the triangular front corner piece - my kit did not have an insert to fit.
I will however "cadge" one from an old door rubber one day and cement it it to fill the void.
Let me know if you have a go at the quarter vent pillar seal - I wrote an article a few years back after getting the "goss" from rares.
hope this gives you some direction?
frats,
Rosco
earlyholdenfan

Post by earlyholdenfan »

Hi Rosco, could you post or send the article, it would be a handy refference for us all??
Matt
Hoping everyone is finding my new Avatar less "Distracting" and of course it is not directed at anyone or anything either currently living or deceased, hopefully it may just be allowed to remain!
thecollector

rubbers

Post by thecollector »

Thanks Rosco!!!
Well your post will be a big help on the EK doors. It's in the shop today n tomorrow just hoping it's being looked after :roll: I might find out how much rare spares charges becuase I never even knew they did that sort of thing...well
And if you could please post up the intructions for the front vent window that would be awesome for us all. I painfully replaced the passenger-side one myself (and with the help of the fb-ekholden.com got it fixed) but after it was all back together again it doesn't look right!! An still with the driver-side to go & the passenger-side one to adjust or repair some cool instructions would go down a treat LOL :lol:
There must be an easier and more effective way than the way I did it... :roll:
CHEERS :D
stew
rosco
State: VIC

quarter vent seals

Post by rosco »

Hi Stew and Matt,
the article I wrote a few years ago should still be current for fitting the 1/4 vent division bar seal.
It is in word format and I don't know if I can cut and paste here.
I will speak to the editor and see if he thinks it is worth a run in the October newsletter for all members to read.
I was at an extreme loss as to how that little moulded strip of neoprene rubber was orientated on the bar............. following Rare's instructions - I know it works a treat and doesn't whistle nor leak. the 1/4 vent closes without threatening the white metal handle and looks very neat in its concealment behind the glass. It most certainly will only fit one way and must be done systematically or it will bug you until you replace it correctly - just ask me how a ham-fisted stick on would have been better left undone!
The people out at Rare's really know their stuff when it comes to doing this.
I was very fortunate to have been given direct access to the fellow who fits their merchandise - and with his patience was able to write it all down.
Let me know if you think it worthwhile to run in "Twin Fin" in October?
frats,
Rosco
thecollector

Post by thecollector »

Hey Rosco,
I reckon itsa brilliant idea. As all EK-FB owners doing resto's or just maintaining their showroom special will find it as a must have bit of info/fact.
I know my 1st attempt is wrong. it looks wrong, it closes wrong and it must be redone but only the right way :roll: and I don't know what that is?
I'm new to this site and I've never seen an issue of twin fins before so if your post gets posted let us know or please cut paste and e-mail it to me.
I need some good reading after my $1200 EK bill this week :cry:
But at least now I know my speedo, handbrake, rear brakes and distributor are all done....
....will this RWC never end...but at least I got me EK :lol:

Post by Guest »

Hi Petrolhead
I'm sort of nearly ready to wrestle with the rubber & would like to know if you have a part number or whatever for the door rubber, bailey channel etc - my ute had all that sort of stuff removed when I bought her so can't take a sample to Universal to match up

Cheers Nick