damaged screw extraction

Includes sheet metal, rubbers, bumpers, badges and rust repairs.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

thecollector
State: NOT ENTERED

damaged screw extraction

Post by thecollector »

Hi All!,
I knew this screw was knackered but trying to remove it I found it's stuck too. :shock: Mabey it's cross threaded? not to sure but the screw doesn't want to budge :roll: forward,or back.

I don't have that macro thing on my camara so hope you can see what i meen (this photo makes the top damaged screw look goood). Thought maybe someone out there has been in this situation before and knows of a safe easy way to extract this bugger of buggered screw... The net has too many tools&ways, an most just look harsh an bodgey.... Does any one know (the correct way) the FB-EK way?
Thanks Again
FB MAD

Post by FB MAD »

I encountered the same problem the other day trying to take reverse light lens off.I havn't as yet had a go at extracting it yet but I've used quite a bit of WD-40 on it while I've been thinking about a way.I was thinking of VERY CAREFULLY welding to the end of the head of the screw to be extracted, a similar sized screw with a hex head and then undoing VERY CAREFULLY with a socket and ratchet.To help protect the chrome strip and stop heat melting the lense whilst welding I thought of drilling a hole in a small piece of sheet metal just bigger than the head of the screw to be extracted and getting someone to hold this over the head of the screw to be extracted while I VERY CAREFULLY spot weld the hex head screw onto it with a mig.Weld in very small spot steps to keep heat down and then work the screw back and forth in VERY SMALL steps noting whether it is moving or not.If you can see any thread of the screw to be extracted on the inside of the taillight housing give the thread a good brush with a wire brush to get any dirt off as this will bind in the thread as the screw is being unscrewed and only add to your problems.Also if you can get some heat on the area of the tailight housing around the screw where it screws into the housing (be VERY CAREFULL with the heat though if you are in doubt as to how the area around the housing will take it)it may help also.Use plenty of WD-40 before and during the extraction attempt.Take your time and did I mention to be VERY CAREFULL!!!!!
Good luck, let us know how you go.......Terry.
I can't think what to write here so this will do.
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

Or if you have a Dremel (or equivalent rotary tool), use a cutting disc and cut a slot into the head to allow use of a blade screwdriver. WD-40 is also recommended to help loosen the screw. I have used this method on alot of the stuffed and rusted screws on my EK. Also a few of my mates have been using the same method and it works a treat with no damage (so long as you are careful with the dremel). At worst you end up cutting the head off and can remove the thread once dismantled. If you don't have a dremel just by a multipack of spare discs, grinding stones etc.. and use it in your drill! (I did this recently as my dremel is on loan)
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
oldgmh

screwed

Post by oldgmh »

Try an eazi-out, that is drill a samll hole and using a left hand thread shaft to extract the screw,
The worst case scenario is to grab it with vice grips and make sure you turn counter-clockwise!

regards
Devilrod
State: VIC

Re: screwed

Post by Devilrod »

oldgmh wrote:Try an eazi-out, that is drill a samll hole and using a left hand thread shaft to extract the screw,
The worst case scenario is to grab it with vice grips and make sure you turn counter-clockwise!

regards
I didn't realize you could get eazi-outs that small! But yeah thats another option.
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
thecollector

Post by thecollector »

Hi & Thanks all,
Well the screw is still in (soaking in WD40) Went up to look for the easy-outs or screw extractors but for one the size I need they said I'll have to go to a specialty tool store it will be pricey and something that small may snap. A price of a dremel was about $85, the jumbo pack of dremel bits was $24.95.
I might go for the dremel (depending on how much this easyout bit/bits are) as there is enough of the screw out to try turn this battered phillips head into a flathead screw...Plus I saw a cool site that showed how to use your dremel for polishing chrome bits that are really hard to get to...
An if the head does fall off I'll have to pull out the vice grips an just hope the screw don't snap... :roll:
thecollector

easy out

Post by thecollector »

Well with your help it's out
and one thing I had to add to it coz all i have is a high speed drill with no reverse. Got an easy out bit from alltools (never been there before but they know there stuff)
Tried with a shifter and vice grips but found once the drill thats older than the EK was used with the easy out an gave it a couple of very light taps it griped in almost straight away. Then turned the old drill in reverse an out it came :lol: Just used the electric for slowly drilling the 5/64 hole in the stuck screw(spraying it with WD40)
And thanks once again for all your expert help :D