List of all the moulding clips EK and FB

Includes sheet metal, rubbers, bumpers, badges and rust repairs.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Harv
State: NSW

Re: List of all the moulding clips EK and FB

Post by Harv »

Been slowly, slowly putting some of the moulds back onto the EK wagon.

Used the stainless clips from Sam Crupi for the piece of moulding that goes along the rear of the wagon roof:
Roof side rear 2.jpg
Roof side rear 2.jpg (87.83 KiB) Viewed 1004 times
Roof side rear 1.jpg
Roof side rear 1.jpg (95.49 KiB) Viewed 1004 times
There are five of the clips each side, held on with a #4 screw. I used some stainless screws, as the old ones were pretty rusty. I put a quick blob of mastic into each screw hole, then put the clips on. I ran some painters masking tape (the blue stuff) either side of where the mould goes on (cause I am hamfisted and was frightened of gouging the paint). I then bumped the mould into place with the bottom of my fist. These are left and right hand moulds, so trial fit first.

There is another mould that butts against this one, again using the Sam Crupi clips. Will take a photo of that one too once it's on.

The next mould going forward is the triangular one at the rear of the C-pillar. This has three clips on them that are similar in design to the Sam Crupi clips, but only have one "curled up" side. I cut the side off one of Sam's clips... so far so good. The "curled up side" needed to have less angle (and the lip rolled over). I gave my cutoff clip a gentle squeeze in the vice (and I mean gentle)... and it turned pear-shaped. The clip snapped off. My guess is that the stainless is very work-hardened by Sam's forming process. I'm going to try annealing the clips - heat to red-hot then air cool. Hopefully this will let me bend them.

Had some fun with the square clip at the rear of the wagon's waistline moulds (the mould that nearly butts up against the taillights). Mine were rusted beyond repair, and the Rare Spare clips were all too small. I ended up cutting a Rare Spares MB0003 clip down to size. They start out 19x63mm, and I cut down to 19x25mm. This did the job nicely. Excuse the clip in the photo... it needed some file finishing before going on.
Rear quarter side mould cutdown to 1 inch from original Rares 19mmx 63mm part number MB0003.jpg
Rear quarter side mould cutdown to 1 inch from original Rares 19mmx 63mm part number MB0003.jpg (137.55 KiB) Viewed 1004 times
These are supposed to have a sealing washer (rubber plug) but a good blob of mastic does the job (put some more on the hole from inside the panel too).

The other four clips in that mould are the ones with spring hairs available from Rares. I bought mine a while ago, which Rares supplied as NOS GMH part 7421827.
IMG_0458.jpg
IMG_0458.jpg (56.87 KiB) Viewed 1004 times
These four clips were fun, as you get at the nuts from the inside of the wagon rear panel. They all appear to be 1/8 Whitworth. As Mater says "they ain’t metric, they ain’t inches, you never can find a wrench to work on them”. After finally finding my trusty Whitworth spanner (don't ask :oops: ), I got most of the nuts on... then dropped the spanner between the rear guard and the wheel well. The gap is tiny... but perfect to swallow a spanner. Too small to get my magnet-on-a-stick down there. Had to walk away from that job, still trying to work out how I'm going to retrieve that spanner.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

I hope you can muster the required patience Harv. I certainly don't have any to spare I'm afraid. Although I do find it sometimes helps to down tools and go surfing. That's what I'm doing right now.
Cheers
Clay

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Harv

Post by Harv »

Some jobs really wind me up, and they go into the "naughty corner". I buggered up the door belts on the drivers rear door. Chipped the paint, and Dave had to touch it up. The door belts are still in the naughty corner. Every time I look at them I shake my head and find some other thing to do. Will have to do them eventually.

The door rubbers were also in the naughty corner for a while. Followed all the rules, and glued them in while the car was still out at Dave's... only to find the doors wouldn't shut. Had to pull them out again to get the doors aligned for the trailer trip home :sick: . I finally mustered the courage to retackle them, only to find they fit beautifully. AFAIK I didn't do anything different. Mustn't have sworn enough the first time :twisted:

The other stuff I have in the naughty corner is the handbrake (can't get enough leverage from my custom-built lever... have to redesign the pivot point/arm), the passenger's headlight connection (the wiring tails are short and I have to turn into a contortionist up behind the guard to connect it), and the front gaurd moulds (the spring tail clip wires slipped out from the mould, and I have to pull the whole mould off the correct them... for the third time).

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Harv

Post by Harv »

These little doovers are the clips that hold the roof side reveal moulding on.
Clips__1504581933_165.225.96.94.jpg
Clips__1504581933_165.225.96.94.jpg (258.32 KiB) Viewed 965 times
There are two of them per moulding. They are supposed to be a black oxide or zinc type finish, but as I cannot find anyone who sells them I took my old crappy rusty ones and rust-killed then painted them.

The two clips slide into the moulding, then the moulding clips onto the drip rail. The moulding swings down and the clips locate into rectangular holder inserts in the body.
Roof reveal mould__1504581990_165.225.96.94.jpg
Roof reveal mould__1504581990_165.225.96.94.jpg (215.89 KiB) Viewed 965 times
Cheers,
Harv
Harv

Post by Harv »

Cleaning out some old photos, and forgot to post the ones below.
Harv wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:10 pm The next mould going forward is the triangular one at the rear of the C-pillar. This has three clips on them that are similar in design to the Sam Crupi clips, but only have one "curled up" side. I cut the side off one of Sam's clips... so far so good. The "curled up side" needed to have less angle (and the lip rolled over). I gave my cutoff clip a gentle squeeze in the vice (and I mean gentle)... and it turned pear-shaped. The clip snapped off. My guess is that the stainless is very work-hardened by Sam's forming process. I'm going to try annealing the clips - heat to red-hot then air cool. Hopefully this will let me bend them.
Took one of Sam's clips, and annealled it by heating red-hot with the LPG bottle:
Optimized-IMG_0504.JPG
Optimized-IMG_0504.JPG (654.12 KiB) Viewed 742 times
Cut one side off, and a few gentle taps with the SFH to recurve the bend:
Optimized-IMG_0505.JPG
Optimized-IMG_0505.JPG (726.48 KiB) Viewed 742 times
... and voila! the missing clip. From top, the original rusted out clip, my modified Sam clip, and one of Sam's originals:
Optimized-IMG_0507.JPG
Optimized-IMG_0507.JPG (777.14 KiB) Viewed 742 times
Rinse and repeat:
Optimized-IMG_0508.JPG
Optimized-IMG_0508.JPG (865.6 KiB) Viewed 742 times
Cheers,
Harv
Harv

Post by Harv »

Clips installed:
IMG_0509.JPG
IMG_0509.JPG (1.59 MiB) Viewed 741 times
IMG_0510.JPG
IMG_0510.JPG (1.41 MiB) Viewed 741 times
Cheers,
Harv
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

shoulda built a 219 mate :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :lol:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

A fiddly job to get right. Well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EK van on rotisserie
Harv

Post by Harv »

Across the bonnet of the FB/EKs, the letters H O L D E N are installed as badges. The badges have two pins each, with different pin directions to suit each letter. The pins can corrode, and often snap off when removing the badges from the bonnet.

In between the badges and the bonnet holes are small tube clips. The tube clips "squeeze" the pins, giving a nice firm fit. The tube clips are often tapped out of the bonnet before a respray, and sometimes come off by sticking to the badge pins.

I bought some tube clips years ago from eBay, and thought I had the issue sorted. Sadly, the eBay tube clips were waaaaay too big for the bonnet holes. It looks like what was sold on eBay is the clip sold by Rare Spares as part number NS0039:
http://www.rarespares.net.au/rarespares ... uct=NS0039

Some discussion with Rares in Sydney show that they also stock the "little brother" of NS0039. The photo below (from top to bottom) shows an original (rusty) tube clip, the "little brother clip", and NS0039. The "little brother" clip is perfect for the FB/EK bonnet.
Optimized-Bonnet badge clips.JPG
Optimized-Bonnet badge clips.JPG (778.54 KiB) Viewed 656 times
Cheers,
Harv
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Thanks. Great info.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
EK van on rotisserie
Harv

Post by Harv »

Got a bit more serious with the front door moulds. At the leading and trailing ends of the moulds are moulding anchor plates that look like a razor blade:

Optimized-IMG_0217.JPG
Optimized-IMG_0217.JPG (593.07 KiB) Viewed 566 times

The one on the right is the old original one (7401726), which is held on by a No.8-32 x 1/4 set screw. FB's use the same anchor plates too. I haven't been able to find a replacement for these. The closest I can find are the 7421833 clips EH boot mouldings shown on the right, that I bought from Rares, though these are a poofteenth too narrow. For now I've cleaned and painted the old ones.

In between the two ends the moulds are held on by moulding retaining clips (7134149) held on by No.4-24x1/4 screws. FB's apparantly use a moulding retaining clip that is different (7416464). The EK clips are reproduced in stainless by Sam Crupi:

Optimized-IMG_0235.JPG
Optimized-IMG_0235.JPG (764.78 KiB) Viewed 566 times

The clips screw in place (I used some No.4 stainless self tappers):

Optimized-IMG_0237.JPG
Optimized-IMG_0237.JPG (171.43 KiB) Viewed 566 times

Cheers,
Harv
Harv

Post by Harv »

The FB/EK front bench seats have steel sides. The steel sides are painted in the body colour, and have a stainless moulding. The moulding is normally retained by three wierd clips, as per the rusty ones shown in the left of the image below. The clips slide into the stainless moulding, then are inserted into the steel sides. The clips are then bent (twisted) to hold the moulding in place.

When I removed my mouldings, most of my clips disintegrated. I could not find anyone making repros. I ended up taking some stainless washers, and grinding flats on two sides. The ground-down washer will then slide into the stainless moulding, as per the image at the bottom. I used some 1/8 Whitworth bolts, which are just small enough to pass through the steel seat sides. With three of the modified washers in place, the three bolts slip into the steel sides and are then held on with the whitworth nut.
Optimized-seat clips.JPG
Optimized-seat clips.JPG (715.66 KiB) Viewed 508 times

Cheers,
Harv
59wagon
State: WA

Post by 59wagon »

Love it Harv. Great fix - simple & effective :)
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

That's an improvement on original Harv. Fortunately, or unfortunately, the commercials and standards don't have them fancy seat moulding doo-dads.
Cheers,
Clay
EK van on rotisserie
Harv

Post by Harv »

Errol62 wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:19 pmFortunately, or unfortunately, the commercials and standards don't have them fancy seat moulding doo-dads.
You know, I never noticed that. Looking back at the photos, Grace's ute has no stainless on the seats. I am truly unobservant.

Cheers,
Harv