Renmark 2016 - Day 1

Here is the place to discuss the Nationals, each year will have a new thread added for up-to-date info!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

EK283
State: NSW

Re: Renmark 2016 - Day 1

Post by EK283 »

That's one hell of a road trip !

A friend of mine had a bearing let go in his newish u beaut JEEP, so we pulled it thinking no worries and bloody hell the balls actually run on the axle itself, apparently hardened so no need for the inner race.You guessed it a new axle as well thanks !!!!!!
Bloody new cars are really rubbish apart from the creature comforts I must admit.

Anyway Blacky that trip looked like a shit load of fun.

Regards Greg
So many cars so little time!
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Yeah it was , I would happily do it again tomorrow 8)

Most of the damage is sorted - bought new wheel bearings in Kalgoorlie ,got another set of brakes, stripped everything down and cleaned it all up , repainted diff centre ready to go back in , went to fit new wheel bearings and they sold me the wrong ones :evil: will sort that out tomorrow , plus buy new slave cylinders and shoes and get the drums machined. Ready for our club run to Pinjarra on Saturday all going well ........ :thumbsup:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
rosco
State: VIC

Post by rosco »

Bummer about the wrong bearings, Blacky - so, did you manage to source a quality Japanese bearing?
I'm about to replace my rear axle bearings, one of them is getting slightly "grumbly" when it heats up... can't "feel" anything when removed - but I had the same noise in my little Corona and changed the bearings in that... noise gone.
I also have found with Nolathane bushes - the noise gets amplified.
I intend to source some Japanese bearings before having them pressed... be interested to learn what ones you went with... maker and number.

(edit) - Oops - my rear drums were unservicable. I have, for many years failed to find replacements until Blue Haze (aka Richard) put me onto some. The chap at ABS brakes supplied him with some later model 13" wheel rear brake drums. All my other suppliers told me EJ-HR rear drums were no longer listed. The drums I fitted are perfect. I have an EH rear housing with HD disc compatible rear assemblies.
I believe the drums were LC/LJ Torana - I can check with Richard if you need the numbers (just went through my log book and can't find the entry).

frats,
Rosco
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

I have used the rear drums off an LH Torana Rosco , self adjusting and easier to get bits for.
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
rosco
State: VIC

Post by rosco »

Ok - thanks for that. I believe the listing ABS had for the ones I bought were LC/LJ... most likely the same drum for LH and possibly LX...
If I'm at a wreckers anytime soon - I might just pick up the assemblies from an LH if there are any left which haven't gone to the crusher.

I didn't use the self adjusters when I fitted mine - some of the parts were damaged.. I have simply manually adjusted them every once in a while... easy enough to do. Maybe, if I find some spares - I'll fit them next time I have the assemblies apart...pretty clever way that they "automatically" take up wear in the shoes.... adjustment arm moves under the adjustment wheel when travel exceeds a set limit - then turns the adjusting wheel on its return by the return springs of the shoes... that's how I understood it to work 33 years back...

frats,
Rosco