Damn, a last minute problem

Here is the place to discuss the Nationals, each year will have a new thread added for up-to-date info!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Finny
State: QLD

Damn, a last minute problem

Post by Finny »

It looks like Murphy has been at it again.

Finished getting a few things finished today in preparation for the drive to Hervey Bay.
Car started missing and farting under load.
One cylinder is oiling up, and it looks like I'm going to need to do the rings.
Had a mechanic look at it and inside the cylinder is moist with oil.
He said highway driving may burn it away.
It need to have the rings done but that's not going to happen before trip. :(

I have one day left and still need a wheel alignment tomorrow.
So I'm concerned about the drive. And looking for a temporary solution.
When the plug stops working, the old girl doesn't like hills and anything that puts a load on the engine.
I have "BP-5S" spark plugs and bought a couple of hotter "BP4" plugs to try and burn the oil away.
I also got some 40W70 oil to change tomorrow and some Nulon additive to reduce the oil leaking past the rings.

Why didn't it happen a week ago ? :evil: :evil:
Any other suggestions ?????????
Thoughts on taking the trip or cancelling ??????? :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:
IT's LIKE WATCHING DRUNK MONKEYS TRYING TO HUMP A FOOTBALL.
rosco
State: VIC

Re: Damn, a last minute problem

Post by rosco »

Bummer, Finny - if you're going to do the rings when you get back - pistons have to come out.. good time to do the bearings as well.

As for running thicker oil - I'm not convinced this is going to be a good move... the rest of the engine is probably quite happy on the oil you have been using, only one pot is getting oil into it and fouling the plug - heavier oil might upset the "good" side of the engine.

Running a hotter plug in that hole will help keep it firing longer between cleans, can't help you with the Nulon additive -
Might be an idea to get a few plugs and have them at the ready if you decide to go ahead with the run up here.

The oil could be coming in from a number of areas... could be rings, but also could be a holed piston, gouged valve guide, head gasket or a groove down a bore.

As for a holed piston, you would know if there's a hole in the piston - putting a fresh plug in would make not one jot of difference to how the engine ran - it would be extremely lumpy all the time.

Checking compression against the other 5 would probably be my suggestion.. if it's way down - I'd be leaning towards there being a bit more damage than just worn rings.

Also, I'd probably suggest that if it were worn rings - one or more of the others would be showing signs as well.

Which pot is the problem child?

Is there any FB EK people near you to take a peek and offer options..?

frats,
Rosco
Finny

Post by Finny »

Thanks Rosco, second one from the back.

Compression was down on a couple of them last time I checked.
But it was only the day before last that I checked all the plugs.
They were dirty, but it was all dry, nothing moist like today.

If I have to get the engine done then I'm probably going to throw in the 186.
My concern was if it would cause an engine failure.
Or if people have been driving around with ring issues and it just keep going.

I know in my early days my old valiant wagon needed the plug removed and cleaned very week or so, then it would keep going. :shh: :thumbsup:
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Sounds like my ute when we went to Narrandera :evil: it would foul a set of plugs in about 15-20 minutes of driving :(
If I was in your shoes mate I would take the daily - its mighty frustrating having a car there and not being able to drive it , I must admit its frustrating being there without a car as well but I think its the lesser of 2 evils , at least you don't need to worry about if you are going to get there or not ........
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
thropzed
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by thropzed »

I've got a snatch rope Finny! If I see you on the side of the road. I'll pick you up.
Cheers Theo Z............
Watch for the early bird, He might be just getting home.

FB/EK Car Club of QLD.
Finny

Post by Finny »

thropzed wrote:I've got a snatch rope Finny! If I see you on the side of the road. I'll pick you up.
Cheers Theo Z............
Thanks Theo. :D :D

Will do some testing today and see how it goes.
Fingers crossed. :?
rosco

Post by rosco »

Is this a red motor, Finny?.... one series was notorious for blowing #5 piston.
In that series, they connected the PCV valve up to the rear (where the booster usually is) - and it made #5 and #6 run lean - lots of burned pistons... that was in the HQ era.
If it's a grey, and I'm struggling to find a reason why - but the distributor is mixed up in that lot.... something might have come adrift from the drive and scored the bore.

How many km's do you have to run... if it was such a case as ours, with over 2,000 - there'd be no chance of me thinking of running that far.
If you're only a few hundred km's away... I expect you probably wouldn't have too much trouble, but I'd want to know pretty accurately what it was and the likely outcomes before considering the run.

frats,
Rosco
Fishyweare
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by Fishyweare »

Finny let me know how you go as I am home tomorrow and leaving about 3.30 pm friday arvo so if you need a hand give me a ring.
Cheers
Paul
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

Agree with Tim - the old grey will run fine with an oily pot.

My FB was down on compression in #4 and #5, though looked OK when she was stripped down to repair the thrust bearings. A light hone, and new bearings/rings and she was off again. Ran OK for a while, but soon started oiling up again... either the bores were worse than they looked, or one of the new rings has crapped out. I go through a little less oil than Tim - about one sump's worth every sixth tank of fuel. Some of this is rear main leak though. Car has done a lot of hard miles in that state.... just gotta remember to clean the plugs out before each long journey.

It us unlikely crap itself on you, but may run badly and make you clean the plugs every 200kms of so (easy roadside job).

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Finny

Post by Finny »

Thanks for the feedback. :D
It's a grey and its 252 Klm from my house.
Changed the oil and put in a hotter BP4 plug.
Took it for a run up the highway this afternoon and hasn't started missing again yet.
I've got one new plug and 6 cleaned up old plugs.

Sounds like it they are fairly indestructible.
just need it running right as we go up the hill after Gympie.
Based on your comments, looks like I'll be taking the EK. 8) 8)
rosco

Post by rosco »

Guess you're on the road by now, Finny - good decision.
If it ran ok just by changing the plug - you should be fine..... just pull over and change it when it starts to struggle...
Might even suggest cleaning it again before the big climb.

See you tonight at the meet'n'greet..

frats,
Rosco
Finny

Post by Finny »

Arrived without changing the plug once, although it was starting to struggle a bit towards the end.
Hope the return trip is just as good.

Developed a new problem, but can't think of a better place to be with a EK problem.
WayneXG95
State: NSW

Post by WayneXG95 »

Nice to meet ya mate, nice wagon she turned out to be.. :thumbsup:
Wayne Chambers
President
FB EK Holden Car Club of N.S.W