*** All Holden Day NSW 2011

All the info, questions and discussion for the various All Holden Day shows in each state

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

bootlegger
State: NOT ENTERED

Re: *** All Holden Day NSW 2011

Post by bootlegger »

I guess I must have been looking at it with different eyes. I thought the fj wagons proportions looked great. Id like it in my shed.
Mick
State: NSW

Post by Mick »

bootlegger wrote:I guess I must have been looking at it with different eyes. I thought the fj wagons proportions looked great. Id like it in my shed.
yeah i liked it aswell, funny thing since seeing the car yesterday i've now heard 3 different amounts of them having been made :roll: :lol:

don't know who built the one the guy i knew had i was allways of the understanding it was 1 of 3 from holden but that now seems wrong i would say you may have known the guy Dr Terry or known of him, Ray Bailey (not sure if correct spelling)
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
EK283

Post by EK283 »

Mick,

You are totally correct. The late Ray Bailey did have one of 3 ever made. His family are good friends of mine so I will stay tight lipped about the where abouts of the FJ. I can say however that the equivalent of Steve Jackson in the FJ world now has possession of this rare car.
The FJ at the AHD is not an original from holden, not that it dosen't deserve any credit because its a masterpiece in its own right, and how good did it look !!!!!!

Should be more built I reckon.

Regards Greg
So many cars so little time!
Smooth customs

Post by Smooth customs »

I have owned more FX and FJ Holdens than any other make and model. And I dont want to mention numbers!
FX & FJ wagons are mythical in some ways concerning numbers. And these vary when the topic of who actually built what.
As fas as Factory built numbers, back in the 70's we were aware of two. And one lived in St Mary's, the other in Melbourne.
The Cordel converted sedans are so nice to look at and were a very clever conversion. The numbers of these vary as well, from three to eleven that I have been told about.
And as stated before it seems each one built varied slighty in some way. But that was not uncommon from any coach built body
Over the years I have seen photos of five different ones, but we always wondered if some were cars that had the paint colours and combinations changed.
I was once asked to build a replica based on available photos.
And then there are the Van conversions to Ambulances, that have been confused with wagons. These were made in several States by specalised conversion companies, some being three doors and others four?
Cal

Post by Cal »

Here's a rear shot of another Cordell built version.
Attachments
whitemanpark083.jpg
whitemanpark083.jpg (87.68 KiB) Viewed 3207 times
Cal

Post by Cal »

This is supposedly the GMH built wagon.
Attachments
20099821316_fj%20wagon2.jpg
20099821316_fj%20wagon2.jpg (97.4 KiB) Viewed 3203 times
Mick

Post by Mick »

that i'de say cal is as paul mentioned a converted van ambulance seeing as it has the light on the roof

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
Smooth customs

Post by Smooth customs »

Mick

That is a genuine Holden built wagon, because of the removable rear guards. The converted vans i have seen did not have this feature
It does look like an Ambulance light on the roof? But it is the top of a hat on a guy standing behind it
customfc

Post by customfc »

I believe the FJ wagon at the AHD is only a recent build by Phil Munday.
From what I can gather, Phil did a resto on a Cordell built car and decided he wanted 1 as well, so set about building his own.
He even found a coachbuilder who used to work at Cordell to advise him on the resto.
I believe this is the Cordell car he restored.
The grey car directly behind it is the car seen at the AHD.
This is the original GMH built prototype. Very different styling to the others.
Regards
Alex
Cal

Post by Cal »

Smooth customs wrote:Mick

That is a genuine Holden built wagon, because of the removable rear guards. The converted vans i have seen did not have this feature
It does look like an Ambulance light on the roof? But it is the top of a hat on a guy standing behind it

Geez you must have good eyesight :lol: :lol: I thought it was an ambo light too, until you mentioed the hat :oops: :oops:
Mick

Post by Mick »

Smooth customs wrote:Mick

yep got me :oops: even when i had a second look i saw the easy to spot guy and then looked again funny there even seems a reflection or something that matches up with the hat to look like a silver/chrome base to the light/hat :lol:

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
Smooth customs

Post by Smooth customs »

Alex

Thanks for posting those photos, it gives a great comparison between the two styles
Cal and Mick, I wish my eyesight was better. But age and doing very detailed work in bad light over the years has taken its toll.
When it comes to things like this you have to study photos so carefully to try and find the smallest detail. Dont feel to bad about missing that as it took me a while to spot that guy wearing the hat
Am still looking for where I saved older photos of these wagon conversions. And the Sydney Ambo conversions at Canopy Industries.