Nominations for improved cooling head gaskets - fourth round

Nasco extras, mechanical bits and pieces, panels, interiors or whatever.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Forum rules
All items here will be automatically deleted after 6 months since the last post. This will give you ample time to sell your item.
Harv
State: NSW

Nominations for improved cooling head gaskets - fourth round

Post by Harv »

Ladies and gents,

It's gotten round to that time again. I did a batch of the gaskets a while back, and kept about a dozen for my own stash. Over time I've helped people out who didn't order (I'm a sucker for a grey motor rebuild story), and now have no gaskets left in my own stash (other than the 3 I still owe Dave).

It seems that there is still some demand from people wanting the cylinder head gaskets, so I will do another round (I've had more than 300 made so far). Same deal as the last three times, and pricing will be similar (the numbers below were from last time, and may change slightly):

a) Gasket: $43 per gasket (or whatever AA Gaskets quotes me).
b) Packaging (7mm ply, wrapped in tape, instructions stashed inside): $3 regardless of the number of gaskets ordered.
c) Postage: $25 regardless of the number of gaskets ordered (yes, your postage might be slightly less... you still pay $25. Trying to manage many, many individual postage costs is beyond my attention span).

So if you want one gasket, you owe me $71.
If you want two gaskets, you owe me $114.
If you want three gaskets, you owe me $157
If you want four gaskets, you owe me $200
If you want five gaskets, you owe me $243
If you want six gaskets, you owe me $286

Rough timing for the process:
a) I'll collect expressions of interest from these forum posts. I need at least 50 nominations to make a gasket run. Not sure how long it will take to get 50 nominations - please be patient. I don't make a red cent out of these gaskets, and I have more than enough grey motored projects that are lagging behind. My mental picture is that it might be May or so of next year before you get your gasket
b) Once we have 50 nominations, for those who express an interest, you get a month to pony up the funds to me. There is always one or two people who don't bother paying, which I guess is human nature.
c) I'll place the order, and AA Gaskets will let us know the timing. Stupid me normally pays AA Gaskets as soon as we have the 50 people (to make the process faster), so anyone who doesn't pay is at my risk.
d) When the gaskets arrive, I'll parcel them up in plywood (like last time) and send them to you. Note that it is cheaper if you combine postage with a few mates, or as a Club.

Cheers,
Harv (deputy apprentice gasket scraper).
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Blacky
State: WA

Re: Nominations for improved cooling head gaskets - fourth round

Post by Blacky »

Good timing, there was a bloke on bookface yesterday asking about a couple of these , will see if I can find the post
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Twopints
State: SA

Post by Twopints »

Harv's put me down for three (3) please
Harv

Post by Harv »

One week in, 29 orders so far. Will likely need 50 to make a production run.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Orange Betty

Post by Orange Betty »

Hi Harv, I'll take two please.
Cheers
Dave
62 EK Sedan in slow progress
FbSTDwagon

Post by FbSTDwagon »

Harv I’m getting heaps on enquirys about them but have been sheepish about saying too much.
I’ve dropped your name a few times to people and just told them to contact you through the forum.

I’m dead seat serious that I think I could fill the numbers to 50 tomorrow if I mention it in my YouTube channel, but I don’t want to throw you under the bus.

But the logistics of pointing them your way could be a hassle if it’s via the forum, as a lot of viewers are not forum members.
Drew
Harv

Post by Harv »

Thanks. Happy for a YouTube plug. If they are serious enough to join one of the forums and provide a name and address, they will probably pony up the money.

Worst happens and a few don’t pay, I’ll sell theirs over time. Seems a pretty consistent demand for them.

Cheers,
Harv
FbSTDwagon

Post by FbSTDwagon »

No worries I’ll do that.

Can I suggest asking AA if they can make them in .040 thick next time rather than .060?

Also do you know if these gaskets need to be retourqed?
Drew
Harv

Post by Harv »

Feedback from AA Gaskets is that the modified head gasket is NOT a single-torque gasket, and that it should be tensioned as per normal practices.

Having said that, from my reading of the various grey motor workshop manuals, there is no reference to re-torquing head gaskets after run-in (i.e. that a single torquing during assembly is appropriate).

It comes down to what people have been taught I guess. I've always retorqued, though admittedly have never found much tightening needed.

Cheers,
Harv
Harv

Post by Harv »

Post Christmas update. We are now over the 50 mark, so should be able to place an order with AA Gaskets.

To finalise this up, I am going to set a deadline: need any more orders in place prior to the end of January please. I will then use that number to make the order.

Cheers,
Harv
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Love your work mate :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
BS
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by BS »

I’ll take another one please Harv. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stygian

Post by Stygian »

Harv wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:14 pm Post Christmas update. We are now over the 50 mark, so should be able to place an order with AA Gaskets.

To finalise this up, I am going to set a deadline: need any more orders in place prior to the end of January please. I will then use that number to make the order.

Cheers,
Harv
Put me down for one please Harv, nice to have as a spare.

As per single torquing, that was my experience using your gasket. Checked tensions a fortnight after all OK.

Cheers,

Andrew
Harv

Post by Harv »

Slight hiccup with the gaskets.

With the nominations now closed, I got hold of AA Gaskets to place the order. Unfortunately, AA Gaskets has ceased manufacturing about 18 months ago and sold off all their gear. I still own the tooling, and they were a little surprised that no one had contacted me to send the tooling to me. They are now trying to locate the gear.

Looks like I need to find a new manufacturer. Have opened conversations with a number of locals, and it is looking good so far. Will send a sample to one of them when I get home, and keep you all in the loop as we go. This may change pricing, so will let you know and can understand if the new pricing is not OK for you (no idea yet if it will be more or less expensive).

Apologies for the delay.

Cheers,
Harv
Harv

Post by Harv »

Update. Have found a manufacturer willing to make the gaskets.

Indicative pricing is $120, say $150 with freight and packing. Will finalise that number in coming weeks and check again that those who have nominated and still want to proceed. Recognise it is twice as expensive as it used to be, and some people will not be comfortable. It is OK to opt out - no harm, no foul.

My own mental picture says it has been five years since we started this gasket caper, and global prices have gone up. We have also had a pandemic in the middle of it which has shaken all kinds of stuff up in various supply chains. Local manufacturers like AA Gaskets continue to close down, leaving only the little bespoke gasket mobs. They are not set up to bang out 100 gaskets in an afternoon, so prices are higher.

The manufacturer is making up four sample gaskets for me. Will take a look at the quality before we go any further.

Cheers,
Harv