FB or EK ute wanted - NSW or QLD

Looking for a new daily driver, the next project, or maybe a parts car? try here first...

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Harv
State: NSW

FB or EK ute wanted - NSW or QLD

Post by Harv »

The kids are getting old enough to drive, and will learn to drive in my FB (everyone needs to learn three-on-the-tree :mrgreen: ). After that, they end up with some form of vehicle that they work for (and on). The two older ones are on the right path - both can do their own grease and oil changes, and are slowly learning at Harvs School of Tool Abuse (my son recently asked for his own cheater bar... made his old man proud :lol: ). I failed to convince Number One Son to get an early Holden... he wanted a VL Commodore. Managed to find one a way back, and am now daily driving it for him to iron the bugs out of it (this is only the third car I have ever owned with air conditioning... modern sorcery).

I've had more luck with Number One Daughter, who wants an FB/EK ute :D 8) . So the hunt is on for an FB or EK ute. I know there is at least one out west, but I am hoping to limit my search to either NSW or QLD. May have to widen the search later if I'm not successful, but I've got quite a few months to find one. I'm looking for something relatively original, though not perfectly so. Happy to look at something that has had the HR front end/red motor upgrade. Equally happy to buy something with no engine/gearbox provided the rest of the car is pretty much complete. Rust is OK, as long as it is moderate - happy to put in new floor pans, or door skins or the area behind the seat, though not looking for something where everything below the doors is missing. Dents and crappy paint are OK, as is torn trim. Special bonus points for NSW rego.

Not looking for a $25k restored car, more a $5-$15k viable vehicle.

If it would sweeten the deal any (or convince someone to give up a ute that they are keeping for a "one day" project) I can potentially dip into my stash of old speed gear... Norman superchargers, Impala floor shifter, Howarth injection, Cain triples, Repco inlet manifolds, Vertex magnetos.... :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
D-MAN
State: NOT ENTERED

Re: FB or EK ute wanted - NSW or QLD

Post by D-MAN »

Harv

Post by Harv »

Thanks D-Man - appreciated.

Silly question for the Queenslanders please. For an unregistered FB/EK that has had a HR front end/red conversion, I assume it needs to be engineered before rego, then go over the pits? In NSW this would be a $2000+ exercise, with all the drama of collapsible column/seatbelts/2-speed wipers/demister etc... how much drama for Queensland rego?

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

Harv,

There's a recently restored FB ute up Parkes way, but you might have a bit of trouble prising it out of its owner's grasp . . .
He bought it new in March 1960, drove it up to Queensland on his honeymoon, and kept it ever since. Later it got relegated to general farm duty, then his sons used it as a paddock-basher, and it still has the concave fuel tank to show for it. Then I think it sat under a tree for a few years, and then it got restored.

Oh, and he lately got an EK "shooting landau" and an EK ute from his neighbours as parts vehicles. The EK ute is in "not much left below the door handles" condition. Maybe if you did a complete floor graft from a station wagon . . .

I know of another FB ute near Crookwell. Same colour as the Parkes FB ute, pretty much the same story.

Rob
Harv

Post by Harv »

Thanks Rob.

I'll be up Crookwell way next weekend... wonder if its worth taking a look?

Cheers,
Harv
D-MAN

Post by D-MAN »

This was on Facebook

FOR SALE
1961 EK HOLDEN UTE
REBUILT GREY MOTOR
HR DISC BRAKE FRONT END
6 INCH CHROMIES
FULLY REGISTERED
Has had plenty spent on it, father doesn't require it any more.
OFFERS AROUND $16,000
LOCATED HAWKESBURY AREA

For more info. Call Norm

02 45 775259
Harv

Post by Harv »

Thanks mate - appreciated.
In the Shed
State: SA

Post by In the Shed »

G'day Harv,
There's one in NSW just listed tonight on Gumtree

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/kempsey ... 1141094832

Regards
Stephen
Attachments
IMG_0127.JPG
IMG_0127.JPG (59.24 KiB) Viewed 2137 times
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
Harv

Post by Harv »

Many thanks.

Cheers,
Harv
Mick

Post by Mick »

In the Shed wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:05 pm G'day Harv,

Regards
Stephen
found anything yet Harv?
i looked at this ute today i'm glad i didn't have to travel to far to see it though it was still 220ks round trip, this ute is what pisses me off about looking at cars you spend time and money and their description is nowhere near accurate, it had plenty of rust
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Mick wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:27 am
In the Shed wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:05 pm G'day Harv,

Regards
Stephen
found anything yet Harv?
i looked at this ute today i'm glad i didn't have to travel to far to see it though it was still 220ks round trip, this ute is what pisses me off about looking at cars you spend time and money and their description is nowhere near accurate, it had plenty of rust
it looks rusty/bogged up in the pics so if it looks suss in pics it must be a real POS .... :evil:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Harv

Post by Harv »

No, still looking. I guess my mental picture is something unregistered, rough, but near complete (maybe missing a motor) for under $10k.

I still like Micks way of selling things - describe the car/part warts and all, and have piece of mind that when the buyer leaves he got what you told him.

Cheers,
Harv
Mick

Post by Mick »

seen this one Harv
https://www.carsales.com.au/private/det ... 102/?Cr=10
i thought about it but really don't think i'll be happy with a grey and after looking at the other one i plain don't fit in a ute with stock steering collum and wheel so at best would have to fit an FC steering wheel and floor shift and unbelieveably it seems to good of a car to butcher by fitting a floor shift
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
thropzed

Post by thropzed »

Hows this one Harv
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/holden-utili ... 2134136579
Cheers Theo Z...............
Watch for the early bird, He might be just getting home.

FB/EK Car Club of QLD.
vmx-mxr

Post by vmx-mxr »

Harv
Did you get my txt re the EK ute or have you changed phones ?
Dave Mac