1921 Palmerston

Got something else that you want to show off that's not an FB or EK? Try this section.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

thropzed
State: NOT ENTERED

1921 Palmerston

Post by thropzed »

I am trying to track down any info or the whereabouts of The Smallest Car in the World! It was built in approx 1921 by Palmerston Brown at Zetland in Sydney. My Great Grandfather. It was built for his children to drive around centennial park.
Last seen at The Grand Centenary Parade.
This car was to be featured in the November 1 issue of "Australian Motorist" Melbourne 1921.
We don't know a lot about the particulars like, Scaled from what? Engine capacity, Materials used in construction.
Any info would be most appreciated
Cheers Theo Z.............
Watch for the early bird, He might be just getting home.

FB/EK Car Club of QLD.
thropzed

Post by thropzed »

Yeah Tim Thats my Great Uncle. I only met him once about thirty years ago!
Cheers Theo Z.......................
Watch for the early bird, He might be just getting home.

FB/EK Car Club of QLD.
bootlegger

Post by bootlegger »

God I love this sort of stuff. I hope you find it.
franfran

Post by franfran »

Australian Newspapers
A fascinating story.

I can't help concerning the whereabouts of the car (if in fact it still exists) but I did find a few references to it in some old copies of the Sydney Morning Herald which might be of interest. I did a quick search of the National Library of Australia's digitised collection of historic Australian newspapers - http://newspapers.nla.gov.au - and came up with the following articles:

Sydney Morning Herald - Wednesday 2 April, 1921
WOMEN'S COLUMN.
GARDEN PETE AT SCARBA

On Saturday afternoon Lady Cullen opened the garden fete held at Scarba, the welfare home for children which is carried on at Bondi by the Benovolent Society of New South Wales. The president of the ladies' committee, Mrs. Lowenthal, the hon, secretary, Miss Allan, and their workers were responsible for a most attractive display, and the beautiful grounds at the home were seen at their best. The openlng ceremony was at 3 p.m. Messrs. Goldstein and Jaques, Ms.L.A., attended the gathering, and Mr. Gelling, treasurer of the society, spoke of the aims of the home and its work. Under the baton of Mr. Fred Hains, L.A.E.M., late of H.M. Life Guards, the Police Band gave a fine programme of music. A miniature motor car, built by Mr. Palmerston Brown for his little son, did a fine trade during the afternoon, when the little owner took many youthful patrons round the gravelled walks of the grounds. The stalls and their holders were as follows: Refreshments and cakes, Mrs. Gadon and helpers; fancy stall, Mrs. Saber and Mrs. Harris; produce, Mrs. Swarbrick and helpers; pillow slips and tea towels, Mrs. Rogers and Barnes; sweets, Miss Meakin and members of the Clovelly Girls' Club; ice cream and soft drinks, Miss Montgomery and helpers; aprons and miscellaneous, Mrs. Dunstan and Mrs. Whitworth; and dips, by Mrs. Alderton and members of the Girls' Fellowship Club. The fete realised £110, which will be used for installing electric light In the home.

Sydney Morning Herald - Wednesday 2 April, 1921
WOMEN'S COLUMN.
FETE AT SCARBA.

Favoured by beautiful weather the grounds of Scarba, the welfare home for children at Bondi, looked their gayest on Saturday afternoon, when Mr. A V Jaques opened the garden party and sale of work organised by the ladies of the auxiliary for their funds. A number of well-stocked stalls were furnished by the workers, and some interesting sideshows were well patronised. The miniature motor car owned by little Palmerston Brown did a big business all the afternoon convening small folk round the gravel walks of the home, and a wonderful working model of a merry-go-round - the smallest working model in the world - driven by a tiny steam engine, created great interest among the grown-ups.

The stall-holders were Mesdames Loewenthal (president), J R Bellamy, who, with Miss B Allan, was organising secretary, Gaden (hon treasurer), Klnsela, Harris, Dunstan, Rogers, Barnier, Whitworth, Wild, Coughlan, Clarke, Montgomery, Alderton, Stening, Carlisle, Smart, Swarbrick, Kennedy, and Miss Teape, Mr Wm Cooper, president of the Benevolent Society, and Mrs Cooper, Mrs N Paton, and Mr J W Roseby, secretary, were among the visitors. In the evening a programme of music was given by Mr Val Woods, assisted by the Misses Manker, Sybil Osborne, Norman Everingham, Mr K Charlton, and Baby Joan Gillespie.

Sydney Morning Herald - Tuesday 17 April, 1921
EDINA FETE.
WAR MEMORIAL HOSPITAL.

A very successful fete in aid ot the War Memorial Hospital, Waverley, was opened by Lady Lauder In the grounds of the Institution on Saturday. Lady Lauder was Introduced by Rev. F. W. Hynes, and presented with a posy of red carnations, tied with tartan ribbon, by little Aleen Hunter. At the opening ceremony the children's pageant, arranged by Miss M. Herd, was a novel Item, Mary Vickery as queen of the fete and her retinue of little children being much admired. There were a number of well stocked stalls, and attractions for children, including a miniature motor car, run by Master Palmerston Brown. The Police Band, under the baton of Mr. F. Haines, played selections; a eurythmic display was given by girls from Bondi school; and a Maypole dance by Infants from Waverley school. Messrs. R. and O. Herd were the winners of the men's tennis tournament. The exhibition of trays arranged by Junior Red Cross girls was judged by Lady Lauder. Violet Prlce was awarded first prize as the best seller, and Norma Thompson first prize for the best decorated tray. Opportunity was taken during the afternoon to make presentations to the hospital of fifty silver trays and d'oyleys by Mesdames Woodhouse, Hedger, and Grimsby, on behalf of the Haberfield Five Dock Guild, and of china from Mrs. Osborne, on behalf ot the Paddington-Woollahra Guild. The fete, which was organised by Mrs. Herd, realised about £400.

Sydney Morning Herald - Tuesday 18 October, 1921
A TINY MOTOR CAR.

One of the smallest practical motor cars ever built, driven by the youngest motorist, was to be seen about the city a few days ago. It was built by Mr. Palmerston Brown, of Zetland, for his son, aged 5 ½, who was driving it. It is a complete car in every detail, with a 1 h.p. air-cooled motor, having gears forward and reverse, electric head and tail lights, cape hood, etc. It took Mr. Brown more than two years to build it.
There were two different reports dated 2 April, 1921. I assume that one was an early edition and the other a late edition.
booz

Post by booz »

franfran wrote: The Police Band, under the baton of Mr. F. Haines, played selections; a eurythmic display was given by girls from Bondi school; and a Maypole dance by Infants from Waverley school. Messrs. R. and O. Herd were the winners of the men's tennis tournament. The exhibition of trays arranged by Junior Red Cross girls was judged by Lady Lauder. Violet Prlce was awarded first prize as the best seller, and Norma Thompson first prize for the best decorated tray. Opportunity was taken during the afternoon to make presentations to the hospital of fifty silver trays and d'oyleys by Mesdames Woodhouse, Hedger, and Grimsby, on behalf of the Haberfield Five Dock Guild, and of china from Mrs. Osborne, on behalf ot the Paddington-Woollahra Guild. The fete, which was organised by Mrs. Herd, realised about £400.

[/quote]

Majority of the police in your country carried a police baton?
[url=http://www.weapons-universe.com/Law_Enforcement/Police_Batons.shtml]asp police baton[/url]
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

booz wrote:
franfran wrote: The Police Band, under the baton of Mr. F. Haines, played selections; a eurythmic display was given by girls from Bondi school; and a Maypole dance by Infants from Waverley school. Messrs. R. and O. Herd were the winners of the men's tennis tournament. The exhibition of trays arranged by Junior Red Cross girls was judged by Lady Lauder. Violet Prlce was awarded first prize as the best seller, and Norma Thompson first prize for the best decorated tray. Opportunity was taken during the afternoon to make presentations to the hospital of fifty silver trays and d'oyleys by Mesdames Woodhouse, Hedger, and Grimsby, on behalf of the Haberfield Five Dock Guild, and of china from Mrs. Osborne, on behalf ot the Paddington-Woollahra Guild. The fete, which was organised by Mrs. Herd, realised about £400.
Majority of the police in your country carried a police baton?[/quote]

Only if the band members were playing really badly :lol:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Mjay1978
State: NSW

Re: 1921 Palmerston

Post by Mjay1978 »

Hi Theo Z.
I know what has happened to this car. The person who made it also my great grandfather and the eldest boy (driver ) was my great uncle.
I think we may be related if he is the same to you, though I don't have any cousins called Theo (not that I or other family know of!)
Would be great to try and figure out where our family tree joins!

Mjay